Re: Patch 7.2.310

  • Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 28, 2009
      Saluton Sir :)

      Sir Raorn <s...@...> skribis:
      > On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 01:14, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
      >> Note that using an Esc-char sequence for "meta" characters causes much
      >> trouble, terminals should not do that.
      > I guess you should stop speaking for everyone.  This is how most
      > terminals works outside of your 7-bit world.

      I guess you should stop speaking for everyone, too. I don't know why you
      cited "7-bit world" here, really, but even "8-bit terminals" may use
      other mechanisms to implement the "meta" keys. Esc-char is, IMHO, the
      worst possible way of doing it, and even if it isn't, Vim has to work
      with *any* kind of terminal, so...

      >> Supporting it in Vim won't solve the problem, only create the
      >> illusion that it works.
      > This "illusion" works for me (and other ALT Linux users) for more than
      > three years.

      Nice sarcasm :) Supporting that feature in Vim won't solve the problem,
      just as Bram said, but I'm not sure if you understood why. Again: Vim
      has to work with many terminals, and it's not a good idea to hardcode
      workarounds in Vim for certain kinds of terminals. That's all, it's
      nothing personal against you or against any terminal, really.

      BTW, politeness is free (as in beer), and Bram doesn't owe you ANYTHING
      and he doesn't even have to give Vim for free: he is kind enough to do
      it, so even if you don't like how Vim works please save your sarcasms
      for other people that maybe deserve it. Bram is not one of them, and you
      have Vim's source code available for free: add the feature you want and
      even distribute your own version of Vim with that feature, but please
      don't be so harsh with Bram...

      > Forget it.  I wont bother you any more.

      I don't think Bram has said anything which could make you think you were
      bothering him... Take it easy, man ;)