remote_foreground() doesn't work exactly on GTK (on KDE)

  • ron
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 17, 2009
      If the gvim server is minimized then using remote_foreground() does
      make it restore to its original size. However, whether it was
      minimized or not, if another window is above it in Z-order, the
      restored gvim will appear *behind* the front window.

      I would have thought that "foreground" begins the window to the front
      of the Z-order where it can be interacted with directly, not that it
      is merely restored to 'normal' size.

    • ron
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 17, 2009
        Apparently it's a problem (==feature) with the way gtk_window_present
        () works. Window managers have the option of ignoring the restacking
        request. So is there are workaround?

      • Peter Odding
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 17, 2009
          > So is there are workaround?

          Not in Vim, but since you mention GTK the command-line program "wmctrl"
          might offer a workaround? I'm using it in a shell script that
          wraps /usr/bin/gvim to open files from the command-line and in the GUI
          within a single Gvim instance. The following command raises an existing
          Vim window whether it's on the current desktop or a different one, and
          whether the window was minimized or not:

          wmctrl -xa gvim.Gvim

          Because of the -x it matches the window to raise by it's window class,
          which means any single Vim window could be raised by the command. In
          your case that probably wouldn't be very useful, because you intended
          to use remote_foreground(). However wmctrl can also match windows by
          their id and title string.

          Hope this helps.

          - Peter Odding

        • ron
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 17, 2009
            Hi, Peter -

            Thanks, that is a help. I'm using KDE though, so maybe some DCOP
            incantation or similar would be what I need?

            Best ,
            Ron

          • Matt Wozniski
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 17, 2009
              On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:59 AM, ron wrote:
              > Hi, Peter -
              >
              > Thanks, that is a help.  I'm using KDE though, so maybe some DCOP
              > incantation or similar would be what I need?

              wmctrl is window manager agnostic - its basic features should work in
              just about every window manager. So, while you might be able to do
              some dcop magic instead, there's no reason you couldn't use wmctrl.

              ~Matt

            • ron
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 17, 2009
                In fact, I just got wmctrl installed on my machine and checked it out
                --- it works! Thanks guys!