Windows build issue with (strawberry) perl

  • Steve Hall
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 9, 2009
      I'm unable to build a Windows binary with perl, I'm getting the
      following error resulting from the build statement:

      gcc -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -freg-struct-return
      -fno-strength-reduce -DWIN32 -DHAVE_PATHDEF -DFEAT_HUGE
      -DWINVER=0x0400 -D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0400 -DFEAT_PERL -DDYNAMIC_PERL
      -DDYNAMIC_PERL_DLL=\"perl510.dll\" -DFEAT_PYTHON -DDYNAMIC_PYTHON
      -DDY NAMIC_PYTHON_DLL=\"python26.dll\" -DFEAT_RUBY -DDYNAMIC_RUBY
      -DDYNAMIC_RUBY_DLL=\"msvcrt-ruby18.dll\" -DDYNAMIC_RUBY_VER =18
      -DFEAT_MZSCHEME -DDYNAMIC_MZSCHEME
      -DDYNAMIC_MZSCH_DLL=\"libmzsch42.dll\"
      -DDYNAMIC_MZGC_DLL=\"libmzgc42.dll\" -DINC LUDE_MZSCHEME_BASE
      -DFEAT_TCL -DDYNAMIC_TCL -DDYNAMIC_TCL_DLL=\"tcl85.dll\"
      -DDYNAMIC_GETTEXT -DDYNAMIC_ICONV -DFEAT_MBY TE -DFEAT_MBYTE_IME
      -DDYNAMIC_IME -DFEAT_CSCOPE -DFEAT_NETBEANS_INTG -DFEAT_GUI_W32
      -DFEAT_CLIPBOARD -DFEAT_OLE -march=i 386 -Iproto
      -I/cygdrive/c/STRAWB~1/PERL/lib/CORE -I/cygdrive/c/PYTHON26/include
      -I/cygdrive/c/RUBY/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-msw in32
      -I/cygdrive/c/PROGRA~1/MzScheme/include -I/cygdrive/c/Tcl/include -s
      -mno-cygwin -o gvim.exe gobj/buffer.o gobj/cha rset.o gobj/diff.o
      gobj/digraph.o gobj/edit.o gobj/eval.o gobj/ex_cmds.o
      gobj/ex_cmds2.o gobj/ex_docmd.o gobj/ex_eval.o gobj/ex_getln.o
      gobj/fileio.o gobj/fold.o gobj/getchar.o gobj/hardcopy.o
      gobj/hashtab.o gobj/main.o gobj/mark.o gobj/mem file.o
      gobj/memline.o gobj/menu.o gobj/message.o gobj/misc1.o gobj/misc2.o
      gobj/move.o gobj/mbyte.o gobj/normal.o gobj/o ps.o gobj/option.o
      gobj/os_win32.o gobj/os_mswin.o gobj/pathdef.o gobj/popupmnu.o
      gobj/quickfix.o gobj/regexp.o gobj/scr een.o gobj/search.o
      gobj/spell.o gobj/syntax.o gobj/tag.o gobj/term.o gobj/ui.o
      gobj/undo.o gobj/version.o gobj/vimrc.o gobj/window.o gobj/if_perl.o
      gobj/if_python.o gobj/if_ruby.o gobj/if_mzsch.o gobj/if_tcl.o
      gobj/if_cscope.o gobj/netbean s.o gobj/gui.o gobj/gui_w32.o
      gobj/gui_beval.o gobj/os_w32exe.o gobj/if_ole.o -luuid -lole32
      /cygdrive/c/Tcl/lib/tclstu b85.lib -lwsock32 -mwindows -lcomctl32
      -lversion -loleaut32 -lstdc++

      Warning: .drectve `-defaultlib:MSVCRT ' unrecognized
      Warning: .drectve `-defaultlib:OLDNAMES ' unrecognized
      gobj/if_perl.o:if_perl.c:(.text+0x1635): undefined reference to
      `_Perl_croak_xs_usage'
      gobj/if_perl.o:if_perl.c:(.text+0x174c): undefined reference to
      `_Perl_croak_xs_usage'
      gobj/if_perl.o:if_perl.c:(.text+0x1858): undefined reference to
      `_Perl_croak_xs_usage'
      gobj/if_perl.o:if_perl.c:(.text+0x1b73): undefined reference to
      `_Perl_croak_xs_usage'
      gobj/if_perl.o:if_perl.c:(.text+0x23b9): undefined reference to
      `_Perl_croak_xs_usage'
      gobj/if_perl.o:if_perl.c:(.text+0x25a5): more undefined references to
      `_Perl_croak_xs_usage' follow
      collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
      make: *** [gvim.exe] Error 1

      This is certainly some configuration issue on my part, it's a new
      build machine. But for the life of me, I can not figure out the issue.
      Details:

      * Strawberry perl 5.10
      * Windows XP-32
      * Cygwin gcc
      * Experimented with the perl bin and libs first on path, last on path,
      not on path, etc.

      This all worked just a few days ago on another machine, but I can't
      recall if it was strawberry perl or some other distro. Any ideas?

    • char101
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 9, 2009
        On Dec 9, 11:44 pm, "Steve Hall" <digit...@...> wrote:>
        gobj/if_perl.o:if_perl.c:(.text+0x1635): undefined reference to
        > `_Perl_croak_xs_usage'
        >   gobj/if_perl.o:if_perl.c:(.text+0x174c): undefined reference to
        > `_Perl_croak_xs_usage'
        >   gobj/if_perl.o:if_perl.c:(.text+0x1858): undefined reference to
        > `_Perl_croak_xs_usage'
        >   gobj/if_perl.o:if_perl.c:(.text+0x1b73): undefined reference to
        > `_Perl_croak_xs_usage'
        >   gobj/if_perl.o:if_perl.c:(.text+0x23b9): undefined reference to
        > `_Perl_croak_xs_usage'
        >   gobj/if_perl.o:if_perl.c:(.text+0x25a5): more undefined references to
        > `_Perl_croak_xs_usage' follow
        >   collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
        >   make: *** [gvim.exe] Error 1
        >
        > This is certainly some configuration issue on my part, it's a new
        > build machine. But for the life of me, I can not figure out the issue.
        > Details:

        Perl_croak_xs_usage is added in perl build 1006 cmiiw, so you'll need
        to use strawberry perl >= 10.0.0.6

      • char101
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 9, 2009
          On Dec 10, 8:40 am, char101 <peac...@...> wrote:
          > Perl_croak_xs_usage is added in perl build 1006 cmiiw, so you'll need
          > to use strawberry perl >= 10.0.0.6

          Edit: It's not in 10.0.0.6 either, but it exists in strawberry perl
          5.10.1.0 (checked).

        • Steve Hall
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 9, 2009
            On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 17:43 -0800, char101 wrote:
            > On Dec 10, 8:40 am, char101 <peac...@...> wrote:
            > > Perl_croak_xs_usage is added in perl build 1006 cmiiw, so you'll
            > > need to use strawberry perl >= 10.0.0.6
            >
            > Edit: It's not in 10.0.0.6 either, but it exists in strawberry perl
            > 5.10.1.0 (checked).

            Hmm, that's the version I'm compiling against (downloaded last week).
            Is it possible that the compiler could be finding another perl (ruby,
            tcl, mkscheme, cygwin) instead of using that specified by $PERL
            explicitly in the build shell?

            Thanks for helping me with this.

          • char101
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 9, 2009
              On Dec 10, 10:22 am, Steve Hall <digit...@...> wrote:
              > > Edit: It's not in 10.0.0.6 either, but it exists in strawberry perl
              > > 5.10.1.0 (checked).
              >
              > Hmm, that's the version I'm compiling against (downloaded last week).
              > Is it possible that the compiler could be finding another perl (ruby,
              > tcl, mkscheme, cygwin) instead of using that specified by $PERL
              > explicitly in the build shell?

              I see, probably it's because Perl_croak_xs_usage isn't listed in
              if_perl.xs.
              How about downgrading to lower perl version which does not have
              Perl_croak_xs_usage,
              thus the perl xs compiler won't use that function, otherwise you'll
              need to link to perl library
              at link time and it won't be dynamic perl anymore.

            • Steve Hall
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 14, 2009
                On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 21:39 -0800, char101 wrote:
                > On Dec 10, 10:22 am, Steve Hall wrote:
                > > >
                > > > [problems building latest Windows binary gVim with strawberry
                > > > perl 5.10.1.0]
                >
                > I see, probably it's because Perl_croak_xs_usage isn't listed in
                > if_perl.xs. How about downgrading to lower perl version which does
                > not have Perl_croak_xs_usage, thus the perl xs compiler won't use
                > that function, otherwise you'll need to link to perl library at link
                > time and it won't be dynamic perl anymore.

                Does anyone else see this problem? Same issue with Active State's Perl
                distro, can Perl 5.10 not be dynamically linked with gVim (on
                Windows)?

              • Sergey Khorev
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 5, 2010
                  > Does anyone else see this problem? Same issue with Active State's Perl
                  > distro, can Perl 5.10 not be dynamically linked with gVim (on
                  > Windows)?

                  I happened to run on this issue too. It seems Perl 5.10 added a new
                  function thus breaking +perl/dyn build. Attached patch should fix
                  that.

                  --
                  Sergey Khorev
                  http://sites.google.com/site/khorser

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 5, 2010
                    Sergey khorev wrote:

                    > > Does anyone else see this problem? Same issue with Active State's Perl
                    > > distro, can Perl 5.10 not be dynamically linked with gVim (on
                    > > Windows)?
                    >
                    > I happened to run on this issue too. It seems Perl 5.10 added a new
                    > function thus breaking +perl/dyn build. Attached patch should fix
                    > that.

                    Thanks. I'll check it out next week.

                    --
                    Some of the well know MS-Windows errors:
                    EMEMORY Memory error caused by..., eh...