Re: Problem with "without Cream" vim-7.2.303 _vimrc

  • Steve Hall
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2009
      On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 14:49 -0800, Gary Johnson wrote:
      > The version of _vimrc installed by the Cream vim "without Cream"
      > installer appears to be an obsolete version and contains a MyDiff()
      > that doesn't work.

      Thanks for your helpful bugfix, I will change this for the next build.

    • John Beckett
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2009
        Steve Hall wrote:
        >> The version of _vimrc installed by the Cream vim "without
        >> Cream" installer appears to be an obsolete version and
        >> contains a MyDiff() that doesn't work.
        >
        > Thanks for your helpful bugfix, I will change this for the
        > next build.

        Sorry, I should have reported this to Steve because the issue
        came up on the wiki. I put my understanding of the problem and
        the best solution for a user here:
        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Running_diff

        We are talking about Windows systems, and I think the "best
        solution" is to install the GnuWin32 diff package (I believe
        that all that is needed is to copy the *.exe/*.dll files into a
        directory in your PATH).

        Then make sure _vimrc does NOT do this:
        set diffexpr=MyDiff()
        and you can delete the entire MyDiff() function.

        When that occurs, Vim runs diff with standard options and
        everything works. I believe that MyDiff() is simply to convert
        "standard" diff options issued by Vim to options that are
        understood by whatever diff is available on a non-standard
        system.

        I'm not sure how the Cream install can best solve the problem.
        If the Vim directory is placed in the PATH, and if licensing
        allows, putting the current GnuWin32 files in the Vim directory
        would be best (and remove diffexpr + MyDiff from _vimrc).

        John