Re: make test enhancement

  • Petr Splichal
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2009
      > Actually... the comment in src/Makefile is perfectly valid. The problem
      > is that you seem to have worked on src/testdir/Makefile as it was in Vim
      > 7.2.000, while in 7.2.015 it was changed so that "ALL DONE" is only
      > displayed in case of all tests having passed and "make && make test &&
      > make install" works the way you wanted it to.

      Oh, I've just downloaded the latest tar archive from the web
      before. Now I know where are the most fresh bits. It's nice to
      find out this has already been fixed.

      > There still remains the issue of displaying which tests have been
      > performed, though, which - I believe - is a matter of personal taste.
      > I have no opinion here.

      As the output from the "make test" is really fast and contains a
      lot of known & expected errors & warning messages which can be
      confusing at the first sight (happened to me) --- I think adding a
      nice summary at the end won't hurt and will make it absolutely
      clear that everything went all right.

      As you said, this is rather matter of style & personal taste and
      not that important as the right exit code return. Anyway, if you
      decide to include this a little bit more verbose behaviour I'm
      attaching a simple patch for that.

      > To prevent problems with outdated files from occurring in the future you
      > might want to use one of the repositories tracking Vim source code:
      > - SVN (described here: http://www.vim.org/subversion.php)
      > - CVS (described here: http://www.vim.org/cvs.php)
      > - git (available here: http://repo.or.cz/w/vim_mainline.git)

      Thanks for the links! ;-)