Bokmål translations

  • Adi Roiban
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2009
      Hi,

      I would like to let you know about a bug reported in Ubuntu by Arne
      Goetje

      https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+bug/409765

      I would like to know what you think about it, and if you accept or
      reject it.

      For point 2. maybe you don't want to remove non-utf8 encoded files.
      Please consider this a bug report only for point 1.
      I will open another theread for discussing point 2.

      I will also include the relevant text here:

      -----
      When scanning the import queue in Launchpad Rosetta for issues that
      need manual intervention, I found the following issues with the vim
      package, which prevents a smooth import into Launchpad Rosetta and
      causes the Ubuntu Translation Coordinators to manually adjust or
      remove .po files.

       1. the no language code is obsolete and has been split into nb and
      nn. The no.po file in the vim package is actually Bokmål, so the file
      should be renamed to nb.po in order to get imported into Rosetta
      automatically.

      ----

      Kindest regards,
      --
      Adi Roiban

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2009
        Adi Roiban wrote:

        > I would like to let you know about a bug reported in Ubuntu by Arne
        > Goetje
        >
        > https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+bug/409765
        >
        > I would like to know what you think about it, and if you accept or
        > reject it.
        >
        > For point 2. maybe you don't want to remove non-utf8 encoded files.
        > Please consider this a bug report only for point 1.
        > I will open another theread for discussing point 2.
        >
        > I will also include the relevant text here:
        >
        > -----
        > When scanning the import queue in Launchpad Rosetta for issues that
        > need manual intervention, I found the following issues with the vim
        > package, which prevents a smooth import into Launchpad Rosetta and
        > causes the Ubuntu Translation Coordinators to manually adjust or
        > remove .po files.
        >
        > 1. the no language code is obsolete and has been split into nb and
        > nn. The no.po file in the vim package is actually Bokmål, so the file
        > should be renamed to nb.po in order to get imported into Rosetta
        > automatically.

        Vim works on many systems, thus we must shure changes don't break it for
        HPUX, SunOS, etc.

        I don't know the details of the Norwegian language names. I think there
        should remain a no.po file for backwards compatibility. But let's ask
        the author: Øyvind A. Holm

        --
        An indication you must be a manager:
        You feel sorry for Dilbert's boss.

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2009
          On 01/11/09 13:59, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          [...]
          > I don't know the details of the Norwegian language names. I think there
          > should remain a no.po file for backwards compatibility. But let's ask
          > the author: Øyvind A. Holm

          See for instance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_language
          (including the "Language codes" in the right sidebar).

          If a President doesn't do it to his wife, he'll do it to his country.

        • Adi Roiban
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 7, 2009
            On 1 nov., 20:34, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
            wrote:
            > On 01/11/09 13:59, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > [...]
            >
            > > I don't know the details of the Norwegian language names.  I think there
            > > should remain a no.po file for backwards compatibility.  But let's ask
            > > the author: Øyvind A. Holm
            >
            > See for instancehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_language
            > (including the "Language codes" in the right sidebar).
            I think a better article would be
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_language_struggle

            The idea is that now we have 2 officially recognized variants for
            Norwegian.

            The old NO is now NB, and there is a new langauge code NN.

            For compatibility we can have NO as a symlink to NB.

            Cheers,
            Adi