equalalways bug or feature ?

  • Fred
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 9, 2009
      Hi all,

      When creating a new window with ":new", ":split" or ":vsplit" and with "equalalways" set,
      all the windows that haven't windfix[width|height] set are resized correctly.
      But if we put a number to define the width or height of the created window (ie ":10 new")
      the already splited window are not resized.

      So i wondering if it is bug or a feature cause this behavior is not documented in the help.
      I ask this question cause it's a bit annoying when using some pluging that create a side pannel like NERDTree. Toggling it does not resize the already split windows, hopefully a simple "CTRL-W_=" solve it !

      Fred

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2009
        On 09/10/09 11:34, Fred wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > When creating a new window with ":new", ":split" or ":vsplit" and with
        > "equalalways" set,
        > all the windows that haven't windfix[width|height] set are resized
        > correctly.
        > But if we put a number to define the width or height of the created
        > window (ie ":10 new")
        > the already splited window are not resized.
        >
        > So i wondering if it is bug or a feature cause this behavior is not
        > documented in the help.
        > I ask this question cause it's a bit annoying when using some pluging
        > that create a side pannel like NERDTree. Toggling it does not resize the
        > already split windows, hopefully a simple "CTRL-W_=" solve it !
        >
        > Fred

        I'm surprised that no-one has yet reacted to this almost month-old
        query, so I'm adding Bram to the Cc list, because I don't know if this
        behaviour is a "bug" or a "feature".

        I confirm that ":new" with a count in line-number position, or Ctrl-W _
        with a count, do not make windows other than the new or current one the
        same size. They reduce one or more existing windows (to 'winminheight'
        if necessary) to make room for the new or modified one; windows farther
        out are left the size they already had.

        A later ":new" with no count, or a Ctrl-W =, will make all windows the
        same size again (but see the help for how these commands interact with
        'winheight' and 'winfixheight' -- or /mutatis mutandis/ for a vertical
        resize).

        Man, n.:
        An animal so lost in rapturous contemplation of what he thinks
        e is as to overlook what he indubitably ought to be. His hief
        occupation is extermination of other animals and his own pecies, which,
        however, multiplies with such insistent apidity as to infest the whole
        habitable earth and Canada.

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2009
          Tony Mechelynck wrote:

          > On 09/10/09 11:34, Fred wrote:
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > When creating a new window with ":new", ":split" or ":vsplit" and with
          > > "equalalways" set,
          > > all the windows that haven't windfix[width|height] set are resized
          > > correctly.
          > > But if we put a number to define the width or height of the created
          > > window (ie ":10 new")
          > > the already splited window are not resized.
          > >
          > > So i wondering if it is bug or a feature cause this behavior is not
          > > documented in the help.
          > > I ask this question cause it's a bit annoying when using some pluging
          > > that create a side pannel like NERDTree. Toggling it does not resize the
          > > already split windows, hopefully a simple "CTRL-W_=" solve it !
          > >
          > > Fred
          >
          > I'm surprised that no-one has yet reacted to this almost month-old
          > query, so I'm adding Bram to the Cc list, because I don't know if this
          > behaviour is a "bug" or a "feature".
          >
          > I confirm that ":new" with a count in line-number position, or Ctrl-W _
          > with a count, do not make windows other than the new or current one the
          > same size. They reduce one or more existing windows (to 'winminheight'
          > if necessary) to make room for the new or modified one; windows farther
          > out are left the size they already had.
          >
          > A later ":new" with no count, or a Ctrl-W =, will make all windows the
          > same size again (but see the help for how these commands interact with
          > 'winheight' and 'winfixheight' -- or /mutatis mutandis/ for a vertical
          > resize).

          Let's call this a feature. When you specify a size then 'equalalways'
          can't change the size of the window, since the size you specified must
          be used. Then it's not possible to make the windows equal size.

          One might argue that the other windows could be equal size, but that's a
          bit hard to implement. Need to have some way to say "equalize all
          windows but not this one".

          --
          Females are strictly forbidden to appear unshaven in public.
          [real standing law in New Mexico, United States of America]

        • Tony Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 7, 2009
            On 07/11/09 13:21, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
            >
            >> On 09/10/09 11:34, Fred wrote:
            >>> Hi all,
            >>>
            >>> When creating a new window with ":new", ":split" or ":vsplit" and with
            >>> "equalalways" set,
            >>> all the windows that haven't windfix[width|height] set are resized
            >>> correctly.
            >>> But if we put a number to define the width or height of the created
            >>> window (ie ":10 new")
            >>> the already splited window are not resized.
            >>>
            >>> So i wondering if it is bug or a feature cause this behavior is not
            >>> documented in the help.
            >>> I ask this question cause it's a bit annoying when using some pluging
            >>> that create a side pannel like NERDTree. Toggling it does not resize the
            >>> already split windows, hopefully a simple "CTRL-W_=" solve it !
            >>>
            >>> Fred
            >>
            >> I'm surprised that no-one has yet reacted to this almost month-old
            >> query, so I'm adding Bram to the Cc list, because I don't know if this
            >> behaviour is a "bug" or a "feature".
            >>
            >> I confirm that ":new" with a count in line-number position, or Ctrl-W _
            >> with a count, do not make windows other than the new or current one the
            >> same size. They reduce one or more existing windows (to 'winminheight'
            >> if necessary) to make room for the new or modified one; windows farther
            >> out are left the size they already had.
            >>
            >> A later ":new" with no count, or a Ctrl-W =, will make all windows the
            >> same size again (but see the help for how these commands interact with
            >> 'winheight' and 'winfixheight' -- or /mutatis mutandis/ for a vertical
            >> resize).
            >
            > Let's call this a feature. When you specify a size then 'equalalways'
            > can't change the size of the window, since the size you specified must
            > be used. Then it's not possible to make the windows equal size.
            >
            > One might argue that the other windows could be equal size, but that's a
            > bit hard to implement. Need to have some way to say "equalize all
            > windows but not this one".

            OK, well, then, if it's "intended behaviour" then maybe it should be
            mentioned in the help, but I'm not sure where. Possible places include:

            :help 'equalalways'
            :help :new
            and a few paragraphs below
            CTRL-W__
            at the point where 'equalalways' is mentioned.

            While you don't greatly need the outside world, it's still very
            reassuring to know that it's still there.