Re: patch: gvim for win32 should have context menu to view files in read-only mode

  • Mikalai Chaly
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2009
      On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Anon Sricharoenchai <anon.hui@...> wrote:

      >  Anon Sricharoenchai wrote:
      >
      >  > In addition to "Edit with Vim", this patch will add the following context menus,
      >  > * View with Vim
      >  > * View with multiple Vims
      >  > * View with single Vim
      >  > * Diff with Vim (read only)
      >

      > Although it's nice when you want to do these things, doesn't this make
      >  the context menu very long when you don't want to use Vim?
      >
      >  Perhaps you can show us a screen shot to show what the result looks
      >  like.

      Here is the screenshot.

      Anon, that would be great if you made visibility of all those items to be configurable.
      There can be just a small ini file with parameters like "edit = 1"; "view = 0"; "diff = 1"
      So new developers can add something extraordinary like "execute script with vim"
      without any concerns.

      As for me personally, having menu populated with a bunch of
      "tortoise svn", "compare with", "play in winamp", "add to archive",
       I'd rather leave "Edit with VIM" menu item only and hide all other ones.

      Sincerely,
      Mikalai Chaly

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 4, 2009
        Anon Sricharoenchai wrote:

        > > > In addition to "Edit with Vim", this patch will add the following context menus,
        > > > * View with Vim
        > > > * View with multiple Vims
        > > > * View with single Vim
        > > > * Diff with Vim (read only)
        > >

        > > Although it's nice when you want to do these things, doesn't this make
        > > the context menu very long when you don't want to use Vim?
        > >
        > > Perhaps you can show us a screen shot to show what the result looks
        > > like.
        >
        > Here is the screenshot.

        In my opinion there are too many Vim entries.

        I would prefer to have one "Edit with Vim" entry, and a submenu "Use
        Vim" with all the other entries.

        --
        GALAHAD: No, please. Please! I can defeat them! There's only a hundred.
        GIRLS: He will beat us easily. We haven't a chance.

      • Anon Sricharoenchai
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 4, 2009

          > > > Although it's nice when you want to do these things, doesn't this make
          > > > the context menu very long when you don't want to use Vim?
          > > >
          > > > Perhaps you can show us a screen shot to show what the result looks
          > > > like.
          > >
          > > Here is the screenshot.
          >

          > In my opinion there are too many Vim entries.
          >
          > I would prefer to have one "Edit with Vim" entry, and a submenu "Use
          > Vim" with all the other entries.

          How about, "Edit with multiple Vims" and "Edit with single Vim"?
          Which one should be in submenu?

        • Tom Sorensen
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 4, 2009
            On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Anon Sricharoenchai <anon.hui@...> wrote:

            >> In my opinion there are too many Vim entries.
            >>
            >>  I would prefer to have one "Edit with Vim" entry, and a submenu "Use
            >>  Vim" with all the other entries.
            >
            > How about, "Edit with multiple Vims" and "Edit with single Vim"?
            > Which one should be in submenu?

            Edit with multiple vims should be put on the sub-menu. Really, it's
            not an optimal way to use vim.

            I'd be in favor of "Diff with Vim" being at the top level if two or
            more files are selected, but it's not that big of a deal.

            In general, removing context menu clutter is a Good Thing. I like the
            way TortoiseCVS/SVN do things (although they have far more options to
            deal with).

            Tom