Re: Folded line highlighting based on level and/or syntax

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2009
      On Sep 30, 2:49 pm, Noel Henson <n...@...> wrote:
      > Apparently the last approach was not a good one. Are there any suggestions
      > for methods that would be acceptable for highlighting folded lines based on
      > level and/or content (syntax)?

      What is "the last approach", and what are you trying to accomplish?
      "Highlighting folded lines based on level and/or content" doesn't mean
      much to me.
    • Noel Henson
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2009
        On Thursday 01 October 2009, Ben Fritz wrote:
        > On Sep 30, 2:49 pm, Noel Henson <n...@...> wrote:
        > > Apparently the last approach was not a good one. Are there any
        > > suggestions for methods that would be acceptable for highlighting
        > > folded lines based on level and/or content (syntax)?
        >
        > What is "the last approach", and what are you trying to accomplish?
        > "Highlighting folded lines based on level and/or content" doesn't mean
        > much to me.

        We have a set of scripts that adds a outliner/organizer on top of VIM. We
        use different colors to show different levels of folds, when the folds are
        open. When the folds are closed, all show the same color. We would like VIM
        to allow for different colors/highlighting for folded folds. These can be
        dependent upon the fold level, indent and or contents of the fold.

        Unfortunately, there is only one attribute that specifies a closed fold and
        therefore only one highlight that can be use. I created a patch a short
        time ago that allows the highlighting to be specified by a user script and
        thus closed folds can be highlighted uniquely or in groups by whatever
        criteria a user wants. If no user script (expression) is provided, VIM
        defaults to its original behavior.

        That's about it.

        Noel

        Noel Henson

      • Jaguar
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2009
          Hi,

          I'm wishing for the same functionality, for almost the same use case.

          At first I thought the highlighting should be based simply on the
          normal highlighting for the line. But then I thought the 'foldtext'
          option could be made as robust as the 'statusline' option. If the
          'foldtext' option could support options like statusline's options: {,
          #, and *, then the folded line could be highlighted manually.

          Here's a link to the thread I started on the subject in April. It
          also explains my use case:

          http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/69e47e0780dd3d30/566b7effc51293c0#566b7effc51293c0

          Thanks,
          Jaguar

        • Noel Henson
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2009
            On Thursday 01 October 2009, Jaguar wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > I'm wishing for the same functionality, for almost the same use case.
            >
            > At first I thought the highlighting should be based simply on the
            > normal highlighting for the line. But then I thought the 'foldtext'
            > option could be made as robust as the 'statusline' option. If the
            > 'foldtext' option could support options like statusline's options: {,
            > #, and *, then the folded line could be highlighted manually.
            >
            > Here's a link to the thread I started on the subject in April. It
            > also explains my use case:
            >
            > http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/69e47e0780dd
            >3d30/566b7effc51293c0#566b7effc51293c0
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Jaguar

            It looks like you're doing something very similar to what we are with Vim
            Outliner. You can look at my posts on 9/13 to see that patch for vim. It
            uses a simple method similar to foldexpr. It's called foldhighlight.

            Noel

            Noel Henson

          • Wu, Yue
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2009
              On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 02:11:28PM -0700, Noel Henson wrote:

              > It looks like you're doing something very similar to what we are with Vim
              > Outliner. You can look at my posts on 9/13 to see that patch for vim. It
              > uses a simple method similar to foldexpr. It's called foldhighlight.

              Sounds so many guys want this feature(I do too, with the exact same purpose).
              Don't know why vim can't at present, for hard to implement or other reasons?

              --
              Hi,
              Wu, Yue