patch: gvim for win32 should have context menu to view files in read-only mode

  • Anon Sricharoenchai
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
      In addition to "Edit with Vim", this patch will add the following context menus,
      * View with Vim
      * View with multiple Vims
      * View with single Vim
      * Diff with Vim (read only)

    • Tom Sorensen
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
        On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 3:46 AM, Anon Sricharoenchai <anon.hui@...> wrote:
        > In addition to "Edit with Vim", this patch will add the following context menus,
        > * View with Vim
        > * View with multiple Vims
        > * View with single Vim
        > * Diff with Vim (read only)

        I'd like to request that this not be integrated with mainline Vim. I
        don't feel that this is a common need and would create additional
        clutter on the context menu (up to 3 additional choices, plus doubling
        the number of entries when there are already existing vim sessions).

        If you really feel that this is valuable, then some/most of the
        options should be moved into a submenu.

        Tom

      • Anon Sricharoenchai
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
          On 10/2/09, Tom Sorensen <tsorensen@...> wrote:

          > On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 3:46 AM, Anon Sricharoenchai <anon.hui@...> wrote:
          > > In addition to "Edit with Vim", this patch will add the following context menus,
          > > * View with Vim
          > > * View with multiple Vims
          > > * View with single Vim
          > > * Diff with Vim (read only)
          >

          > I'd like to request that this not be integrated with mainline Vim. I
          > don't feel that this is a common need and would create additional
          > clutter on the context menu (up to 3 additional choices, plus doubling
          > the number of entries when there are already existing vim sessions).
          >
          > If you really feel that this is valuable, then some/most of the

          Open in non readonly, will cause vim to write swap file (.*.swp).
          * It is annoyed to see swap file in the folder, when just want to view
          or diff file.
          * This also cause opening file to be a bit slower?

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
            Anon Sricharoenchai wrote:

            > In addition to "Edit with Vim", this patch will add the following context menus,
            > * View with Vim
            > * View with multiple Vims
            > * View with single Vim
            > * Diff with Vim (read only)

            Although it's nice when you want to do these things, doesn't this make
            the context menu very long when you don't want to use Vim?

            Perhaps you can show us a screen shot to show what the result looks
            like.

            --
            ZOOT: I'm afraid our life must seem very dull and quiet compared to yours.
            We are but eightscore young blondes, all between sixteen and

          • Anon Sricharoenchai
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009

              > Anon Sricharoenchai wrote:
              >
              > > In addition to "Edit with Vim", this patch will add the following context menus,
              > > * View with Vim
              > > * View with multiple Vims
              > > * View with single Vim
              > > * Diff with Vim (read only)
              >

              > Although it's nice when you want to do these things, doesn't this make
              > the context menu very long when you don't want to use Vim?
              >
              > Perhaps you can show us a screen shot to show what the result looks
              > like.

              Here is the screenshot.

            • Mikalai Chaly
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 3, 2009
                On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Anon Sricharoenchai <anon.hui@...> wrote:

                >  Anon Sricharoenchai wrote:
                >
                >  > In addition to "Edit with Vim", this patch will add the following context menus,
                >  > * View with Vim
                >  > * View with multiple Vims
                >  > * View with single Vim
                >  > * Diff with Vim (read only)
                >

                > Although it's nice when you want to do these things, doesn't this make
                >  the context menu very long when you don't want to use Vim?
                >
                >  Perhaps you can show us a screen shot to show what the result looks
                >  like.

                Here is the screenshot.

                Anon, that would be great if you made visibility of all those items to be configurable.
                There can be just a small ini file with parameters like "edit = 1"; "view = 0"; "diff = 1"
                So new developers can add something extraordinary like "execute script with vim"
                without any concerns.

                As for me personally, having menu populated with a bunch of
                "tortoise svn", "compare with", "play in winamp", "add to archive",
                 I'd rather leave "Edit with VIM" menu item only and hide all other ones.

                Sincerely,
                Mikalai Chaly

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 4, 2009
                  Anon Sricharoenchai wrote:

                  > > > In addition to "Edit with Vim", this patch will add the following context menus,
                  > > > * View with Vim
                  > > > * View with multiple Vims
                  > > > * View with single Vim
                  > > > * Diff with Vim (read only)
                  > >

                  > > Although it's nice when you want to do these things, doesn't this make
                  > > the context menu very long when you don't want to use Vim?
                  > >
                  > > Perhaps you can show us a screen shot to show what the result looks
                  > > like.
                  >
                  > Here is the screenshot.

                  In my opinion there are too many Vim entries.

                  I would prefer to have one "Edit with Vim" entry, and a submenu "Use
                  Vim" with all the other entries.

                  --
                  GALAHAD: No, please. Please! I can defeat them! There's only a hundred.
                  GIRLS: He will beat us easily. We haven't a chance.

                • Anon Sricharoenchai
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 4, 2009

                    > > > Although it's nice when you want to do these things, doesn't this make
                    > > > the context menu very long when you don't want to use Vim?
                    > > >
                    > > > Perhaps you can show us a screen shot to show what the result looks
                    > > > like.
                    > >
                    > > Here is the screenshot.
                    >

                    > In my opinion there are too many Vim entries.
                    >
                    > I would prefer to have one "Edit with Vim" entry, and a submenu "Use
                    > Vim" with all the other entries.

                    How about, "Edit with multiple Vims" and "Edit with single Vim"?
                    Which one should be in submenu?

                  • Tom Sorensen
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 4, 2009
                      On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Anon Sricharoenchai <anon.hui@...> wrote:

                      >> In my opinion there are too many Vim entries.
                      >>
                      >>  I would prefer to have one "Edit with Vim" entry, and a submenu "Use
                      >>  Vim" with all the other entries.
                      >
                      > How about, "Edit with multiple Vims" and "Edit with single Vim"?
                      > Which one should be in submenu?

                      Edit with multiple vims should be put on the sub-menu. Really, it's
                      not an optimal way to use vim.

                      I'd be in favor of "Diff with Vim" being at the top level if two or
                      more files are selected, but it's not that big of a deal.

                      In general, removing context menu clutter is a Good Thing. I like the
                      way TortoiseCVS/SVN do things (although they have far more options to
                      deal with).

                      Tom