to let buffers just open on a specific window

  • winterTTr
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2009
      Is there a way to let the buffer just open on a specific windows ?
      OK , maybe i should use a example to explain my need.

      for example , i use vim open 3 file which will cause vim to own
      three buffers in the buffer list .

      : ls
      buffer 1
      buffer 2
      buffer 3
      # just for show , not the output of

      and now i split the current window like this

      ------------------------------
      | | |
      | win 1 | win 2 |
      | (buffer 1) | (buffer 2) |
      | | |
      -------------------------------

      so , my need is like this :

      Now , i focus at the win 2 and
      use the command :buffer 3 to let the buffer 3 to show ,
      however i don't want it to show at the win 2 ,
      and i just want it to show on win 1 , leaving win 2 do nothing ,
      it seems that i just type the command when i focus in win 1.
      And every other command which will change buffer
      could just make the buffer show at win 1

      Does it possible ?

      I try to use the auto command like this :
      autocmd BufLeave * 1wincmd w

      but , sometimes , E315 error occurred and the display become confused.

      Any advise is appreciate , thx.

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 30, 2009
        On 30/09/09 03:05, winterTTr wrote:

        > Is there a way to let the buffer just open on a specific windows ?
        > OK , maybe i should use a example to explain my need.
        >
        > for example , i use vim open 3 file which will cause vim to own
        > three buffers in the buffer list .
        >
        > : ls
        > buffer 1
        > buffer 2
        > buffer 3
        > # just for show , not the output of
        >
        > and now i split the current window like this
        >
        > ------------------------------
        > | | |
        > | win 1 | win 2 |
        > | (buffer 1) | (buffer 2) |
        > | | |
        > -------------------------------
        >
        > so , my need is like this :
        >
        > Now , i focus at the win 2 and
        > use the command :buffer 3 to let the buffer 3 to show ,
        > however i don't want it to show at the win 2 ,
        > and i just want it to show on win 1 , leaving win 2 do nothing ,
        > it seems that i just type the command when i focus in win 1.
        > And every other command which will change buffer
        > could just make the buffer show at win 1
        >
        > Does it possible ?
        >
        > I try to use the auto command like this :
        > autocmd BufLeave * 1wincmd w
        >
        > but , sometimes , E315 error occurred and the display become confused.
        >
        > Any advise is appreciate , thx.

        It's a pity that nobody replied to this post yet.

        "winterTTr", does the 'switchbuf' option answer your question?

        170. You introduce your wife as "my_lady@..." and refer to your
        children as "forked processes."

      • winterTTr
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2009
          2009/10/31 Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...>:

          > On 30/09/09 03:05, winterTTr wrote:
          >>
          >> Is there a way to let the buffer just open on a specific windows ?
          >> OK , maybe i should use a example to explain my need.
          >>
          >> for example , i use vim open 3 file which will cause vim to own
          >> three buffers in the buffer list .
          >>
          >> : ls
          >> buffer 1
          >> buffer 2
          >> buffer 3
          >> # just for show , not the output of
          >>
          >> and now i split the current window like this
          >>
          >> ------------------------------
          >> |               |              |
          >> |  win 1     | win 2      |
          >> | (buffer 1) | (buffer 2) |
          >> |               |              |
          >> -------------------------------
          >>
          >> so , my need is like this :
          >>
          >> Now , i focus at the win 2 and
          >> use the command :buffer 3 to let the buffer 3 to show ,
          >> however i don't want it to show at the win 2 ,
          >> and i just want it to show on win 1 , leaving win 2 do nothing ,
          >> it seems that i just type the command when i focus in win 1.
          >> And every other command which will change buffer
          >> could just make the buffer show at win 1
          >>
          >> Does it possible ?
          >>
          >> I try to use the auto command like this :
          >> autocmd BufLeave * 1wincmd w
          >>
          >> but , sometimes , E315 error occurred and the display become confused.
          >>
          >> Any advise is appreciate , thx.
          >
          > It's a pity that nobody replied to this post yet.
          >
          > "winterTTr", does the 'switchbuf' option answer your question?

          Thanks to your answer, although this letter should be posted to the vim_use.
          I now add some logical process for this need, and it can work now.