Communication from a process to Vim

  • sasa riri
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 15, 2009
      Hi Bram,
      I am developing a collaborative plain text editor, and that would be a collaborative Vim. Several people can edit the same file concurrently. That would be very exciting, right?
      To serve this purpose, I need a way of communication from my process to Vim. I know that we can use OLE automation to send a command to Vim. I successfully created one pair OLE communication: one process sending command to a Vim instance (Currently I am using gvim). But, I would like to have multiple file which can be edited concurrently. My current implementation is to use one Vim instance and several buffers. However, for editing non current buffer, we have to open that particular buffer and do the update. Here, the context-switch between buffer is unbearable. My question: is there a way to edit buffer silently? without having to open the buffer first.
      Otherwise, is that possible if I can have multiple Vim instance which can serve OLE automation server for each instance? Currently, I can only launch gvim process which can serve as OLE server.
      Looking forward to seeing your help.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 18, 2009
        Sada Thok (Riri?) wrote:

        > Hi Bram,I am developing a collaborative plain text editor, and that would be
        > a collaborative Vim. Several people can edit the same file concurrently.
        > That would be very exciting, right?

        Several people have expressed the desire for this. However, it must be
        implemented in a portable way to make it really cool.

        > To serve this purpose, I need a way of communication from my process to Vim.
        > I know that we can use OLE automation to send a command to Vim. I
        > successfully created one pair OLE communication: one process sending command
        > to a Vim instance (Currently I am using gvim). But, I would like to have
        > multiple file which can be edited concurrently. My current implementation is
        > to use one Vim instance and several buffers. However, for editing non
        > current buffer, we have to open that particular buffer and do the update.
        > Here, the context-switch between buffer is unbearable. My question: is there
        > a way to edit buffer silently? without having to open the buffer first.
        > Otherwise, is that possible if I can have multiple Vim instance which can
        > serve OLE automation server for each instance? Currently, I can only launch
        > gvim process which can serve as OLE server.
        > Looking forward to seeing your help.

        OLE would only work on MS-Windows. People on other systems also want
        this feature. And ideally it works in mixed environments.

        Using http commands works best, they go through firewalls.
        Unfortunately it's a stateless protocol.

        Perhaps using Python will help, instead of trying to implement this
        inside Vim. Keep in mind that you will also need to take care of
        security, thus having a bag of Python tools will be helpful.

        249. You've forgotten what the outside looks like.