Re: Bug: 'l' breaks macro when run at the end of line (fwd)

  • Milan Vancura
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2009
      ----- Forwarded message from Milan Vancura <milanek@...> -----

      To: Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...>
      Cc: Vim development list <vim-dev@...>
      Subject: Re: Bug: 'l' breaks macro when run at the end of line

      > Not a bug: "2l" behaves different than "ll" when the second "l" doesn't
      > work. "2l" just stops, "ll" is an error and the operation is aborted.
      > When at the end of the line "2l" also produces an error, since it can't
      > move at all.

      Hello Bram.

      I'm sorry to seem nit-picking but what you did is you perfectly described what
      happens (in better words than I did, or at least shorter) but you did not write
      any single word about why such behaviour is not a bug. Neither 99l on
      previous-to-last char nor '99l' on the last char can't be done (completely).
      I really don't see the logic in background of this.

      Yes, I found one point myself: I see the same behaviour in linewise mode: d99j
      works on any other line than the last one. But why such non-intuitive behaviour
      is there? Other then bug-to-bug compatibility with vi? (if that is the only
      reason we may think about an option and about including that option setting as
      a part of 'compatible' option). I tried to think about reasons (for macro
      programming or general usage) but found really nothing.

      Thank you for the explanation,

      Milan Vancura

      ----- End forwarded message -----