the 'Vim: Reading from stdin...' message

  • Britton Kerin
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 14, 2009
      I dislike this message. Also the one about the number of
      files to edit. These make it hard (or impossible, when
      doing things like 'view -M -') to make vim completely
      silent for use for interactive stages in shell scripts and
      the like. An option to make vim totally silent would be
      nice.

      Britton

    • Matt Wozniski
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 16, 2009
        On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 6:25 PM, Britton Kerin wrote:

        > I dislike this message.  Also the one about the number of
        > files to edit.  These make it hard (or impossible, when
        > doing things like 'view -M -') to make vim completely
        > silent for use for interactive stages in shell scripts and
        > the like.  An option to make vim totally silent would be
        > nice.

        Hardly *impossible* - just use a temp file instead. For instance, in
        most shells, you could easily replace

        echo hello | view -M -

        with

        view -M <(echo hello)