Re: what supported platforms would be lost of one killed vim's own mainloop in favor of glib

  • Lech Lorens
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2009
      On 04-Aug-2009 RonnyPfannschmidt <ronny.pfannschmidt@...> wrote:

      > hi,
      >
      > just wondering what would be lost if vim's own mainloop was replaced
      > by or at least properly integrated with the glib mainloop
      >
      > as it would help to integrate things like gio (direct ssh/http file
      > access) and dbus
      >
      > also the current way to deal with gtk and its mainloop seems like a
      > big hack that works around vim's mainloop being there first
      >
      > Regards Ronny

      If you expect anyone to answer your question, I believe you should
      elaborate a little bit on the subject. We are either too lazy (e.g. me)
      or too busy to be able to dig into every hint of a subject that is
      brought up on the list.
      Would you mind explaining the possibilities, benefits, costs, risks of
      using Glib?

      --
      Cheers,
      Lech

    • Ronny Pfannschmidt
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 14, 2009
        On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Lech Lorens <lech.lorens@...> wrote:

        > On 04-Aug-2009 RonnyPfannschmidt <ronny.pfannschmidt@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > hi,
        > >
        > > just wondering what would be lost if vim's own mainloop was replaced
        > > by or at least properly integrated with the glib mainloop
        > >
        > > as it would help to integrate things like gio (direct ssh/http file
        > > access) and dbus
        > >
        > > also the current way to deal with gtk and its mainloop seems like a
        > > big hack that works around vim's mainloop being there first
        > >
        > > Regards Ronny
        >
        > If you expect anyone to answer your question, I believe you should
        > elaborate a little bit on the subject. We are either too lazy (e.g. me)
        > or too busy to be able to dig into every hint of a subject that is
        > brought up on the list.
        > Would you mind explaining the possibilities, benefits, costs, risks of
        > using Glib?
        the cost is certainly loss of some of the stoneage supported platforms
        that virtually nobody uses today

        the benefits and possibilities are
        * integration of dbus as control protocol
        * better integration of gtk
        * using gio to access files on ssh/smb/nfs/http/whatever else gio supports
        * use of a event/mainloop system that is widely used and understand

        Regards, Ronny

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 15, 2009
          On 14/08/09 13:37, Ronny Pfannschmidt wrote:

          > On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Lech Lorens<lech.lorens@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> On 04-Aug-2009 RonnyPfannschmidt<ronny.pfannschmidt@...> wrote:
          >>>
          >>> hi,
          >>>
          >>> just wondering what would be lost if vim's own mainloop was replaced
          >>> by or at least properly integrated with the glib mainloop
          >>>
          >>> as it would help to integrate things like gio (direct ssh/http file
          >>> access) and dbus
          >>>
          >>> also the current way to deal with gtk and its mainloop seems like a
          >>> big hack that works around vim's mainloop being there first
          >>>
          >>> Regards Ronny
          >>
          >> If you expect anyone to answer your question, I believe you should
          >> elaborate a little bit on the subject. We are either too lazy (e.g. me)
          >> or too busy to be able to dig into every hint of a subject that is
          >> brought up on the list.
          >> Would you mind explaining the possibilities, benefits, costs, risks of
          >> using Glib?
          > the cost is certainly loss of some of the stoneage supported platforms
          > that virtually nobody uses today
          >
          > the benefits and possibilities are
          > * integration of dbus as control protocol
          > * better integration of gtk
          > * using gio to access files on ssh/smb/nfs/http/whatever else gio supports
          > * use of a event/mainloop system that is widely used and understand
          >
          > Regards, Ronny

          What about MSVC, the main C compiler on Windows? IIUC, it uses neither
          glib not GTK2.

          Or, I've too often seen the phrase "that virtually nobody uses today"
          used without any proof to mean "that I don't use and want to drop" --
          and I don't mean specifically on Vim, where Bram's "iron hand in a
          velvet glove" is there to keep compatibility with earlier versions as
          high as possible, but on some other open-source softwares, where I've
          too often seen features dropped with no advance warning to their many
          users, because developers had decided among themselves that "nobody uses
          it anymore".

          Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
          speak it to?
          -- Clarence Darrow