i_ctrl-g_u and the repeat command

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2009
      :help ins-special-special says:

      The changes (inserted or deleted characters) before and after these
      keys can
      be undone separately. Only the last change can be redone and always
      behaves
      like an "i" command.

      <Left> and <Right> seem to work as described:

      gvim -N -u NONE
      aabc()<Left>def<Esc>.

      results in:
      abc(dedeff)

      But <C-G>u doesn't act the same way with respect to the '.' command:
      gvim -N -u NONE
      aabc(<C-G>udef)<Esc>.

      results in:
      abc(def)abc(def)

      I believe this to be a bug, but perhaps I'm missing something.

      I was going to suggest a CursorHoldI autocmd to do a feedkeys with <C-
      G>u in order to give the poster in this thread the "time between
      keystrokes" desired (at least in insert mode), but discovered that it
      doesn't work:

      http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/browse_thread/thread/6e00cf42813023c9/2aadf5b5f356503e