Re: Combining characters not displayed correctly

  • Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2009
      Saluton Lech :)

      Lech Lorens <l...@...> dixit:
      > Indeed, it is GVim under Gnome. It's my computer at work, running
      > Ubuntu 8.10. However, I just tried to reproduce this problem at home
      > (Ubuntu 9.04) and got the same (wrong) results.

      I see. Anyway, you've read the reply from Bram: it is more or less a
      known problem and he doesn't want to put time on it, I suppose because
      it belongs to the GUI part, but I don't know.

      If you are going to work with a lot of combining characters and you can
      live without the GUI, you can use the console version of Vim. I don't
      miss any feature of GVim with it and the character rendering is much
      better (at least for me). It is better in terms of scrolling speed, too.

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 14, 2009
        On 01/08/09 13:25, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > Lech Lorens wrote:
        >
        >> Combining characters are not displayed correctly in gvim. They are
        >> displayed one character too early.
        >> Examples:
        >>
        >> Instead of Škoda I get  ̌Skoda:
        >> Â SÌŒkoda
        >> S + U+030C
        >>
        >> Instead of wieś, I get wiés:
        >> wiesÌ
        >> s + U+0301
        >>
        >> Instead of więc, I get wįec:
        >> wieÌœc
        >> e + U+31C
        >>
        >> The problem seems related to fonts, since I do get it if I:
        >>
        >> set guifont=Andale\ Mono\ 11
        >> set guifont=DejaVu\ Sans\ Mono\ 11
        >> set guifont=LucidaTypewriter\ 14
        >>
        >> Problem disappears if I e.g.
        >> set guifont=TlwgTypewriter\ 12
        >>
        >> I don't feel competent enough to decide whether this is Vim's fault. I
        >> would be grateful for comments from someone wiser.
        >
        > It's probably a problem in the GTK libraries. Vim has to play some
        > tricks to make them display composing characters correctly.
        > If someone wants to dive into this, please do. I'm not going to spend
        > time on it.

        Using DejaVu\ Sans\ Mono\ 8, all three examples display correctly in
        gvim. Also, I'm busy with a Russian-French dictionary, and there too,
        the combining acute displays correctly over Cyrillic vowels. (Over Latin
        letters I use precombined diacritics.)

        These dictionary pages also display correctly using Times New Roman in
        both SeaMonkey (Gecko 1.9.1 with GTK2) and Konqueror (3.5.10, with Qt)
        though the accents are not exactly at the same relative location "above"
        their respective vowels. However I've seen Wikipedia pages (with
        "Cologne Blue" skin) displayed correctly in Konqueror and not in
        SeaMonkey (where the combining character would appear on the next letter).

        About the emails in this thread, which I read in SeaMonkey (you can get
        the exact version from my mail headers), most of the combining
        characters seem to be displayed one character too far to the right. I
        wouldn't swear that all of them were wrong. IIUC, the font used to
        display them is the system's monospace font, which doesn't say much
        (could be any fixed-width font installed).

        So IMO it "might" be a problem with the GTK2 libraries, or with some
        fonts, or with how to use the ones with the others, but it's hard for me
        to tell exactly "what" is wrong "where"... and whether or not GTK2 will
        correct it in some later release (which would mean that stopgap measures
        taken in the meantime by patching one of the various src/gui_gtk* might
        have to be undone to avoid combining signs being drawn too far to the
        _left_).

        When properly administered, vacations do not diminish productivity:
        for every week you're away and get nothing done, there's another when
        your boss is away and you get twice as much done.
        -- Daniel B. Luten