Re: Combining characters not displayed correctly

  • Dominique Pellé
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2009
      Lech Lorens wrote:

      > Combining characters are not displayed correctly in gvim. They are
      > displayed one character too early.
      > Examples:
      >
      > Instead of Škoda I get  ̌Skoda:
      >  Škoda
      > S + U+030C
      >
      > Instead of wieś, I get wiés:
      > wieś
      > s + U+0301
      >
      > Instead of więc, I get wįec:
      > wie̜c
      > e + U+31C
      >
      > The problem seems related to fonts, since I do get it if I:
      >
      > set guifont=Andale\ Mono\ 11
      > set guifont=DejaVu\ Sans\ Mono\ 11
      > set guifont=LucidaTypewriter\ 14

      I tried with those fonts, the composing characters look
      as expected for me.

      > Problem disappears if I e.g.
      > set guifont=TlwgTypewriter\ 12

      It looks also fine with this font and it looks fine with the font
      that I normally use: set guifont=MiscFixed\ Semi-Condensed\ 10.

      I'm using Ubuntu-8.10 with Vim-7.2.245 on Linux x86 (xterm)
      and gvim GUI GTK2.

      > I don't feel competent enough to decide whether this is Vim's fault. I
      > would be grateful for comments from someone wiser.
      >
      > Thanks in advance!

      Do those characters look wrong only in gvim? What about
      other applications? (gedit, xemacs, gnome-terminal, firefox, ...)

      -- Dominique

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2009
        Lech Lorens wrote:

        > Combining characters are not displayed correctly in gvim. They are
        > displayed one character too early.
        > Examples:
        >
        > Instead of Škoda I get  ̌Skoda:
        > Â SÌŒkoda
        > S + U+030C
        >
        > Instead of wieś, I get wiés:
        > wiesÌ
        > s + U+0301
        >
        > Instead of więc, I get wįec:
        > wieÌœc
        > e + U+31C
        >
        > The problem seems related to fonts, since I do get it if I:
        >
        > set guifont=Andale\ Mono\ 11
        > set guifont=DejaVu\ Sans\ Mono\ 11
        > set guifont=LucidaTypewriter\ 14
        >
        > Problem disappears if I e.g.
        > set guifont=TlwgTypewriter\ 12
        >
        > I don't feel competent enough to decide whether this is Vim's fault. I
        > would be grateful for comments from someone wiser.

        It's probably a problem in the GTK libraries. Vim has to play some
        tricks to make them display composing characters correctly.
        If someone wants to dive into this, please do. I'm not going to spend
        time on it.

        --
        All true wisdom is found on T-shirts.

      • Lech Lorens
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2009
          On 31-Jul-2009 Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado <raulnac@...> wrote:
          > Lech Lorens <l...@...> dixit:
          [...]
          > From this information I would say that you're using Vim under Gnome,
          > probably. I'm using "DejaVu Sans Mono 11" in my gnome-terminal, but I
          > haven't tested under the GUI Vim. In fact, I stopped using GVim because
          > problems like these: bad font rendering, composing character problems
          > and very slow redrawing.
          >
          > > I don't feel competent enough to decide whether this is Vim's fault. I
          > > would be grateful for comments from someone wiser.
          >
          > I've tested using gedit and it draws all the characters correctly using
          > the same font than in my gnome-terminal, DejaVu Sans Mono 11. So this
          > doesn't seem to be a problem in the font rendering engine, but I can't
          > say more about it. It *looks* like a GVim problem, though, but I'm not
          > sure.
          >
          > Could you please tell us a bit more about your environment, just in
          > case?

          Hi,

          Indeed, it is GVim under Gnome. It's my computer at work, running Ubuntu
          8.10. However, I just tried to reproduce this problem at home (Ubuntu
          9.04) and got the same (wrong) results.
          Answering the question about other applications, if I set
          guifont=DejaVu\ Sans\ Mono\ 11 in GVim, I get incorrectly displayed
          combining characters and if I set my xterm to use:

          XTerm*vt100.font: -dejavu-dejavu sans mono-medium-r-*-*-17-120-100-100-*-0-iso10646-*

          the combining characters cause no problem.
          Under Gedit - no problem with this font in this variant. However, I have
          some problems (the combining characters are displayed like ordinary
          characters - take up "their own slot") with the oblique (DejaVu Sans
          Mono Oblique 11) variant of the font, which I do not get in GVim.

          --
          Cheers,
          Lech

        • Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2009
            Saluton Lech :)

            Lech Lorens <l...@...> dixit:
            > Indeed, it is GVim under Gnome. It's my computer at work, running
            > Ubuntu 8.10. However, I just tried to reproduce this problem at home
            > (Ubuntu 9.04) and got the same (wrong) results.

            I see. Anyway, you've read the reply from Bram: it is more or less a
            known problem and he doesn't want to put time on it, I suppose because
            it belongs to the GUI part, but I don't know.

            If you are going to work with a lot of combining characters and you can
            live without the GUI, you can use the console version of Vim. I don't
            miss any feature of GVim with it and the character rendering is much
            better (at least for me). It is better in terms of scrolling speed, too.

          • Tony Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 14, 2009
              On 01/08/09 13:25, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              > Lech Lorens wrote:
              >
              >> Combining characters are not displayed correctly in gvim. They are
              >> displayed one character too early.
              >> Examples:
              >>
              >> Instead of Škoda I get  ̌Skoda:
              >> Â SÌŒkoda
              >> S + U+030C
              >>
              >> Instead of wieś, I get wiés:
              >> wiesÌ
              >> s + U+0301
              >>
              >> Instead of więc, I get wįec:
              >> wieÌœc
              >> e + U+31C
              >>
              >> The problem seems related to fonts, since I do get it if I:
              >>
              >> set guifont=Andale\ Mono\ 11
              >> set guifont=DejaVu\ Sans\ Mono\ 11
              >> set guifont=LucidaTypewriter\ 14
              >>
              >> Problem disappears if I e.g.
              >> set guifont=TlwgTypewriter\ 12
              >>
              >> I don't feel competent enough to decide whether this is Vim's fault. I
              >> would be grateful for comments from someone wiser.
              >
              > It's probably a problem in the GTK libraries. Vim has to play some
              > tricks to make them display composing characters correctly.
              > If someone wants to dive into this, please do. I'm not going to spend
              > time on it.

              Using DejaVu\ Sans\ Mono\ 8, all three examples display correctly in
              gvim. Also, I'm busy with a Russian-French dictionary, and there too,
              the combining acute displays correctly over Cyrillic vowels. (Over Latin
              letters I use precombined diacritics.)

              These dictionary pages also display correctly using Times New Roman in
              both SeaMonkey (Gecko 1.9.1 with GTK2) and Konqueror (3.5.10, with Qt)
              though the accents are not exactly at the same relative location "above"
              their respective vowels. However I've seen Wikipedia pages (with
              "Cologne Blue" skin) displayed correctly in Konqueror and not in
              SeaMonkey (where the combining character would appear on the next letter).

              About the emails in this thread, which I read in SeaMonkey (you can get
              the exact version from my mail headers), most of the combining
              characters seem to be displayed one character too far to the right. I
              wouldn't swear that all of them were wrong. IIUC, the font used to
              display them is the system's monospace font, which doesn't say much
              (could be any fixed-width font installed).

              So IMO it "might" be a problem with the GTK2 libraries, or with some
              fonts, or with how to use the ones with the others, but it's hard for me
              to tell exactly "what" is wrong "where"... and whether or not GTK2 will
              correct it in some later release (which would mean that stopgap measures
              taken in the meantime by patching one of the various src/gui_gtk* might
              have to be undone to avoid combining signs being drawn too far to the
              _left_).

              When properly administered, vacations do not diminish productivity:
              for every week you're away and get nothing done, there's another when
              your boss is away and you get twice as much done.
              -- Daniel B. Luten