Re: storing files without a name

  • Hari Krishna Dara
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2009
      On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 7:21 AM, Toni Ruottu<toni.ruottu@...> wrote:

      > I'm glad to see someone working on this. I'm rather busy at the
      > moment, but I'm willing to test it once it is supposed to work. In
      > case the script becomes stable, would turning it into a standard
      > feature. I'm ok with using some special command for storing the
      > current buffer into a note (instead of a file), but I'll probably be
      > too lazy to install an extension on each system separately.
      >
      >  --toni

      I am attaching a plugin but you do need to install it on each system
      separately. However, it is very simple to do so, just unzip it into
      your .vim/vimfiles directory and add one line to your vimrc (e.g., let
      g:notesRoot = "c:/notes"). I wouldn't expect this to be part of core
      vim functionality, as it is something that can be achieved using a
      plugin like this, however some changes to the core could help improve
      the experience (e.g., there is no way to trap :w on an unnamed buffer,
      Vim simply gives an error, no matter what autocommands are defined).

      Judging by your previous messages, here is how I think you would use the plugin:
      - Type :Note command with no arguments when you start taking a new
      note consciously. Save the note just like any other file using :w
      command.
      - Start typing in an unnamed buffer, but use :NoteAsNew command when
      you are done. Unfortunately, :w at this point will give you the same
      error message that you are familiar with and despise, but at least you
      don't have to think about a filename and location, if you simply use
      :NoteAsNew.

      Feel free to define maps for the above commands to make it easier to
      use them. I have some more documentation below (which is also
      available in the plugin/notes.vim file) that describes the additional
      functionality. I have been using the plugin for myself (as I said I
      wanted it myself) and find it usable, but feedback from others will
      help shape it better.

      - In vimrc, let g:notesRoot to the root directory holding/containing
      all your notes.
      - Use ":Note" command to create or open notes.
      - All note files are regular text files, but they are special to the
      plugin only if they live under the g:notesRoot directory.
      - You can also open existing note files by using regular vim commands or
      file browsers. However, ":Note" command provies completion that could
      make it easier to find a note.
      - Usage: Note [<relPathToDir>|<name>|<fullPathToDir>|<fullPathToName>]
      <no arguments> - create a new note in the root.
      <relPathToDir> - create a new note in an existing subdir
      under root.
      <name> - create a new note or open an existing note with
      the specified name in the root dir.
      <fullPathToDir> - to create a new note under the specified
      path (path should be under root)
      <fullPathToName> - to create a new note or open an existing
      note with the specified path.
      - You can use ":NoteNewFolder" to create subdirectories under the root with
      the convenience of completion.
      - Use ":NoteSyncFilename[!]" to sync the filename of the note to the first line
      in the note. This is to trigger the process when g:notesSyncNameAndTitle
      is disabled (see below). Use bang to force a save when the buffer is
      modified.
      - Use :NoteAsNew command instead of :w to save notes taken in an unnamed
      buffer with an autogenerated name under the root directory.
      - ":NoteGrep[!] <pat>" command is a shortcut to invoke :vimgrep on the
      subfolder. If the pattern is not enclosed, it will be automatically
      enclosed in /'es. If the pattern itself has /'es or you need to pass
      flags, then you need to enclose the pattern yourself with any flags at
      the end. See help on vimgrep for details.
      - ":NoteBrowse" is a simple shortcut to open the root directory, which
      will open the directory in your default file explorer.

      Settings:
      - g:notesRoot - Sets the root directory path.
      - g:notesDefaultName - The default name used for notes (without any
      extension)
      - g:notesMaxNameLenth - An integer that limits the length of generated names.
      - g:notesSyncNameAndTitle - Allows automatically renaming notes on save,
      based on the first non-empty line. When
      disabled, use :NoteSyncFilename to manually
      trigger this.

      --
      Hari