path completion case sensitivity on unix

  • Thomas Rowe
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2009
      Path completion on Windows and Unix are different regarding case
      sensitivity. Given file './Blah' on Windows, vim command ':e b<tab>' will
      expand out to ':e Blah'. On Linux it does not expand, even though bash
      does as I have 'set completion-ignore-case on' in my ~/.inputrc.

      I would much prefer case insensitive completion on Linux. Ideally vim
      would honor .inputrc settings. I'd like to offer a patch but the
      learning curve for the vim source seems rather steep.

      Any chance of getting this implemented? Or can someone offer some
      pointers on how to do it myself?

      Thanks,
      Thomas Rowe

    • Matt Wozniski
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2009
        On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Thomas Rowe wrote:

        > Path completion on Windows and Unix are different regarding case
        > sensitivity.  Given file './Blah' on Windows, vim command ':e b<tab>' will
        > expand out to ':e Blah'.  On Linux it does not expand, even though bash
        > does as I have 'set completion-ignore-case on' in my ~/.inputrc.
        >
        > I would much prefer case insensitive completion on Linux.  Ideally vim
        > would honor .inputrc settings.  I'd like to offer a patch but the
        > learning curve for the vim source seems rather steep.
        >
        > Any chance of getting this implemented?  Or can someone offer some
        > pointers on how to do it myself?

        Vim couldn't possibly obey settings in .inputrc, since it doesn't use readline.

        As for case-insensitive completion, see this:

        http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/d85208b0b888c5a2/7215a4c95e7637e1

        ~Matt