Reason why dict_unref(-1) is called?

  • björn
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2 12:32 PM
      Hi,

      I received the following report of a crash inside Vim on the MacVim
      project page:

      http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=191

      From the stack trace it would seem dict_unref() is called with "-1" as
      argument as a result of garbage being collected (as far as I can
      tell). It it is probably a bit far fetched to ask, but maybe somebody
      with a bit more insight into the garbage collecting routines will have
      an idea as to why this may be happening?

      Björn

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3 11:11 AM
        Bjorn Winckler wrote:

        > I received the following report of a crash inside Vim on the MacVim
        > project page:
        >
        > http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=191
        >
        > From the stack trace it would seem dict_unref() is called with "-1" as
        > argument as a result of garbage being collected (as far as I can
        > tell). It it is probably a bit far fetched to ask, but maybe somebody
        > with a bit more insight into the garbage collecting routines will have
        > an idea as to why this may be happening?

        There was a patch to the garbage collecor in 7.2.192. Were the patches
        up to that number included?

        --
        "I can't complain, but sometimes I still do." (Joe Walsh)

      • björn
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3 11:22 AM
          2009/7/3 Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...>:

          > Bjorn Winckler wrote:
          >
          >> I received the following report of a crash inside Vim on the MacVim
          >> project page:
          >>
          >> http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=191
          >>
          >> From the stack trace it would seem dict_unref() is called with "-1" as
          >> argument as a result of garbage being collected (as far as I can
          >> tell).  It it is probably a bit far fetched to ask, but maybe somebody
          >> with a bit more insight into the garbage collecting routines will have
          >> an idea as to why this may be happening?
          >
          > There was a patch to the garbage collecor in 7.2.192.  Were the patches
          > up to that number included?

          It doesn't seem that way:

          :ver
          VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2 (2008 Aug 9, compiled Apr 13 2009 18:52:48)
          MacOS X (unix) version
          Included patches: 1-148

          From what I can tell it may be hard to reproduce this bug (I never
          managed myself) so it will be difficult to see if 7.2.192 fixes the
          problem but the next snapshot I build will include this patch. I'll
          report back if there are any further comments on this issue report
          after I've released the new snapshot.

          Björn