Re: Patch to try out: ":unsilent"

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
      Matt Wozniski wrote:

      > On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > >
      > > Any comments on adding the ":unsilent" command modifier?
      >
      > It seems like a good idea, if only for the symmetry. Any chance for
      > another change to how :silent works, though, while we're at it? I'd
      > find it very useful in my own scripts if
      >
      > :silent echomsg "hello"
      >
      > could be used to write a message to the :messages log without
      > displaying it to the screen. I was surprised when I found out that
      > this didn't work, but of course in retrospect that would have required
      > that :echomsg have been special-cased in the code. Maybe we could add
      > a :msgonly modifier that behaves like :silent but does add to the
      > message history?

      The message history is to store displayed messages. If a message isn't
      displayed then it should not be in the history.

      If you want to log some things to see what your plugin is doing you can
      use a global List and append to that.

      --
      The real
      trick is
      this: to
      keep the
      lines as
      short as
      possible
      and keep
      the size
      the same
      yet free
      from the
      need for
      hyphena-
      Dammit!! (Matthew Winn)

    • Matt Wozniski
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
        Oops, accidentally sent this to Bram off-list.

        Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > Matt Wozniski wrote:
        >
        >> Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        >> >
        >> > Any comments on adding the ":unsilent" command modifier?
        >>
        >> Maybe we could add
        >> a :msgonly modifier that behaves like :silent but does add to the
        >> message history?
        >
        > The message history is to store displayed messages.  If a message isn't
        > displayed then it should not be in the history.
        >
        > If you want to log some things to see what your plugin is doing you can
        > use a global List and append to that.

        It just seems that it would be nicer if each plugin didn't need to
        roll its own ad-hoc logging solution.  When something goes wrong, a
        lot of experienced vim users will instinctively check :messages to see
        if an error managed to slip by them unnoticed, so the message history
        seems like an intuitive place to do logging.  It not only would save
        plugin authors the need to roll their own logging solution, but would
        save plugin users from having to learn which plugins do provide their
        own logging, and learning how to view the log for each.

        It's not something I feel terribly strongly about one way or the
        other, but I definitely think that extending the message history from
        it's current definition to "A list of messages that can give you
        insight about what happened recently" would be more useful.

        ~Matt

      • Ingo Karkat
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
          On 02-Jul-09 22:47, Matt Wozniski wrote:
          > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          >> Matt Wozniski wrote:
          >>> Maybe we could add
          >>> a :msgonly modifier that behaves like :silent but does add to the
          >>> message history?
          >> The message history is to store displayed messages. If a message isn't
          >> displayed then it should not be in the history.
          >>
          >> If you want to log some things to see what your plugin is doing you can
          >> use a global List and append to that.
          >
          > It just seems that it would be nicer if each plugin didn't need to
          > roll its own ad-hoc logging solution. When something goes wrong, a
          > lot of experienced vim users will instinctively check :messages to see
          > if an error managed to slip by them unnoticed, so the message history
          > seems like an intuitive place to do logging. It not only would save
          > plugin authors the need to roll their own logging solution, but would
          > save plugin users from having to learn which plugins do provide their
          > own logging, and learning how to view the log for each.
          >
          > It's not something I feel terribly strongly about one way or the
          > other, but I definitely think that extending the message history from
          > it's current definition to "A list of messages that can give you
          > insight about what happened recently" would be more useful.

          I guessed you would want this for debugging / logging, though one has to
          differentiate: If the plugin really needs to inform the user about something,
          :echomsg fits perfectly, and the message should also be visible. If this is
          internal, implementation-specific tracing stuff for debugging by plugin writers
          or troubleshooting, this should normally be hidden from view.

          For the latter purpose, I use :echomsg during development, and comment out these
          before moving the script into production. I know about Dr.Chip's Decho plugin,
          which provides much more functionality in that area. Of course, as a plugin
          author, I would love to have :tracemsg, :set trace=myscript,yourscript and :set
          tracefile=/tmp/trace.log commands built-in. But I don't think these should be
          combined into the :messages functionality.

          -- just my two cents, ingo
          --
          -- Ingo Karkat -- /^-- /^-- /^-- /^-- /^-- /^-- http://ingo-karkat.de/ --
          -- http://vim.sourceforge.net/account/profile.php?user_id=9713 --

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009
            Matt Wozniski wrote:

            > Oops, accidentally sent this to Bram off-list.
            >
            > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > >
            > > Matt Wozniski wrote:

            > >> Maybe we could add
            > >> a :msgonly modifier that behaves like :silent but does add to the
            > >> message history?
            > >
            > > The message history is to store displayed messages. Â If a message isn't
            > > displayed then it should not be in the history.
            > >
            > > If you want to log some things to see what your plugin is doing you can
            > > use a global List and append to that.
            >
            > It just seems that it would be nicer if each plugin didn't need to
            > roll its own ad-hoc logging solution. Â When something goes wrong, a
            > lot of experienced vim users will instinctively check :messages to see
            > if an error managed to slip by them unnoticed, so the message history
            > seems like an intuitive place to do logging. Â It not only would save
            > plugin authors the need to roll their own logging solution, but would
            > save plugin users from having to learn which plugins do provide their
            > own logging, and learning how to view the log for each.
            >
            > It's not something I feel terribly strongly about one way or the
            > other, but I definitely think that extending the message history from
            > it's current definition to "A list of messages that can give you
            > insight about what happened recently" would be more useful.

            Look at the stuff that Charles Campbell made.

            I don't think that "uniform logging" will help, really. I mean, what's
            simpler than:

            let g:mylog = []

            call add(g:mylog, "I did something!")

            echo g:mylog

            53. To find out what time it is, you send yourself an e-mail and check the
            "Date:" field.