vim qt on embedded devices

  • mobi phil
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2009
      Hello,

      I build vim 7.2 for windows with arm-wince-mingw32ce http://cegcc.sourceforge.net/docs/choosing.html, it opens the vim window, but there are probably some whcar problems and CreateFont that need to be fixed.

      Before continuing to invest time on this dirrection, I wonder if it would make more sense to write QT windowing for vim, and that could be built both on windows ce and the linux based phones (like QT on openmoko etc.). I would like to ask the community:

      1. do you know about some similar experiments (I did not find anythig with search engines)
      2. what would be the path to follow? Obviously one would implement the core functionality (no menus, no tabs, no buttons etc), just like the console based one.

      Thank you
      mobi phil

      --
      being mobile, but including technology
      http://mobiphil.com

    • Markus Heidelberg
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2009
        mobi phil, 30.06.2009:
        > Before continuing to invest time on this dirrection, I wonder if it would
        > make more sense to write QT windowing for vim, and that could be built both
        > on windows ce and the linux based phones (like QT on openmoko etc.). I would
        > like to ask the community:
        >
        > 1. do you know about some similar experiments (I did not find anythig with
        > search engines)

        This might be interesting for you, it tells about various different ways
        of creating a GUI around Vim, some active, others not:
        http://freehackers.org/VimIntegration

        I also found this a while back, a new attempt:
        http://bitbucket.org/NorwegianRockCat/gvim-qt/

        Markus

      • mobi phil
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2009
          Hello,

          any info when the http://bitbucket.org/NorwegianRockCat/gvim-qt/ will be integrated?

          regards
          mobiphil
          http://mobiphil.com

          On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 11:36 PM, Markus Heidelberg <markus.heidelberg@...> wrote:

          mobi phil, 30.06.2009:
          > Before continuing to invest time on this dirrection, I wonder if it would
          > make more sense to write QT windowing for vim, and that could be built both
          > on windows ce and the linux based phones (like QT on openmoko etc.). I would
          > like to ask the community:
          >
          > 1. do you know about some similar experiments (I did not find anythig with
          > search engines)

          This might be interesting for you, it tells about various different ways
          of creating a GUI around Vim, some active, others not:
          http://freehackers.org/VimIntegration

          I also found this a while back, a new attempt:
          http://bitbucket.org/NorwegianRockCat/gvim-qt/

          Markus

          --
          rgrds,
          mobi phil

          being mobile, but including technology
          http://mobiphil.com

        • Tony Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 11, 2009
            On 09/07/09 22:08, mobi phil wrote:
            > Hello,
            >

            > any info when the http://bitbucket.org/NorwegianRockCat/gvim-qt/ will be
            > integrated?
            >

            > regards
            > mobiphil
            > http://mobiphil.com

            I would say: probably never. But Bram may know better.

            Please use top-posting in these lists if you can, and if you cannot
            (maybe because the quote is added after the reply leaves your computer)
            be aware that you'll probably get more warnings like this one.

            A conservative is a man who believes that nothing should be done for
            the first time.
            -- Alfred E. Wiggam