Re: Setting vin_vc_toupper_broken

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 17, 2009
      On 12/06/09 02:57, Rich wrote:

      > Hello! During my cross-compilation, I get this message:
      >
      > checking whether toupper is broken... configure: error: cross-
      > compiling: please set 'vim_cv_toupper_broken'
      >
      > I added the line 'vim_cv_toupper_broken = no' to the Makefile but this
      > didn't do anything. Sorry for the rookie question, can somebody just
      > point me in the right direction?
      >
      > Thanks,

      The way configure works is by running a lot of compiles and links for
      various "test programs" with various options, to see what works on the
      machine _where configure is running_ and set defines accordingly for the
      Vim version you're trying to compile. Therefore I'm extremely doubtful
      (to say the least) about the possibility to run configure for a
      cross-compile. IIUC you should "figure out" yourself what works and how
      on the target machine, set src/feature.h and/or src/auto/config.mk
      and/or src/auto/config.cache accordingly by hand, not run configure
      yourself, and make sure that make doesn't run it either.

      However, I've never run cross-compiles (other than Cygwin gcc run by the
      src/Make_cyg.mak, which never calls configure), so, like Dr.Chip, I
      don't know how near (or far) to the mark I'm shooting.

      Fortune's Law of the Week (this week, from Kentucky):
      No female shall appear in a bathing suit at any airport in this
      State unless she is escorted by two officers or unless she is armed
      with a club. The provisions of this statute shall not apply to females
      weighing less than 90 pounds nor exceeding 200 pounds, nor shall it
      apply to female horses.

    • Birger J. Nordølum
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 10, 2012
        This helped me out a lot: http://markmail.org/download.xqy?id=4rbeebrjhor7xsjn&number=1

      • Birger J. Nordølum
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 10, 2012
          On Friday, June 12, 2009 2:57:37 AM UTC+2, Rich wrote:
          > Hello! During my cross-compilation, I get this message:
          >
          > checking whether toupper is broken... configure: error: cross-
          > compiling: please set 'vim_cv_toupper_broken'
          >
          > I added the line 'vim_cv_toupper_broken = no' to the Makefile but this
          > didn't do anything. Sorry for the rookie question, can somebody just
          > point me in the right direction?
          >
          > Thanks,

          This helped me out a lot: http://markmail.org/download.xqy?id=4rbeebrjhor7xsjn&number=1

          Old, but somewhat describes things still.

          Birger J.