patch : error using set novice

  • Patrick Texier
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7, 2009
      :set novice is interpreted as set vice to false and gives an "E518:
      unknown option: novice" error. :set nonovice is correctly ignored.

      novice is the only option starting with "no".

      Attached patch fixes this.
      --
      Patrick Texier

    • Andy Wokula
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 7, 2009
        Patrick Texier schrieb:
        > :set novice is interpreted as set vice to false and gives an "E518:
        > unknown option: novice" error. :set nonovice is correctly ignored.
        >
        > novice is the only option starting with "no".
        >
        > Attached patch fixes this.

        Vim doesn't support 'novice', so who cares about the error message?

        If you want to fix something, why don't you start with
        :h todo

        SCNR,
        Andy

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 7, 2009
          Patrick Texier wrote:

          > :set novice is interpreted as set vice to false and gives an "E518:
          > unknown option: novice" error. :set nonovice is correctly ignored.
          >
          > novice is the only option starting with "no".
          >
          > Attached patch fixes this.

          Thanks. Nobody complained about this for ten years :-).

          3. Your bookmark takes 15 minutes to scroll from top to bottom.

        • Patrick Texier
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 7, 2009
            Le Sun, 07 Jun 2009 19:55:07 +0200, Andy Wokula a écrit dans le message
            <4A2BFEFB.6010501@...> :

            > If you want to fix something, why don't you start with
            > :h todo

            Yes, I'm working on some items but it takes more time.
            --
            Patrick Texier

          • Dominique Pellé
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 7, 2009
              Andy Wokula wrote:

              > Patrick Texier schrieb:
              >> :set novice is interpreted as set vice to false and gives an "E518:
              >> unknown option: novice" error. :set nonovice is correctly ignored.
              >>
              >> novice is the only option starting with "no".
              >>
              >> Attached patch fixes this.
              >
              > Vim doesn't support 'novice', so who cares about the error message?
              >
              > If you want to fix something, why don't you start with
              >   :h todo
              >
              > SCNR,
              > Andy

              That's a bit harsh. Even if Vi option "novice" is not supported by
              Vim, Vim's documentation explicitly says that no error should be
              given when trying to set it. Yet ":set novice" actually gives an error:

              E518: Unknown option: novice.

              So it's a legitimate bug in my opinion (even if it's a low priority one).

              See ":help missing-options":

              --- 8< --- cut here --- 8< --- cut here --- 8< ---
              2. Missing options
              *missing-options*

              These options are in the Unix Vi, but not in Vim. If you try to set one of
              them you won't get an error message, but the value is not used and
              cannot be printed.

              autoprint (ap) boolean (default on) *'autoprint'* *'ap'*
              beautify (bf) boolean (default off) *'beautify'* *'bf'*
              flash (fl) boolean (default ??) *'flash'* *'fl'*
              graphic (gr) boolean (default off) *'graphic'* *'gr'*
              hardtabs (ht) number (default 8) *'hardtabs'* *'ht'*
              number of spaces that a <Tab> moves on the display
              mesg boolean (default on) *'mesg'*
              novice boolean (default off) *'novice'*
              open boolean (default on) *'open'*
              optimize (op) boolean (default off) *'optimize'* *'op'*
              redraw boolean (default off) *'redraw'*
              slowopen (slow) boolean (default off) *'slowopen'* *'slow'*
              sourceany boolean (default off) *'sourceany'*
              w300 number (default 23) *'w300'*
              w1200 number (default 23) *'w1200'*
              w9600 number (default 23) *'w9600'*
              --- 8< --- cut here --- 8< --- cut here --- 8< ---

              Regards
              -- Dominique