Re: [ANN] vim patch to support python3 interface

  • Roland Puntaier
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2009
      Hello,

      I have reworked python3 support.
      The attached patch is against 7.2.192.
      But 7.2.193 to 7.2.195 do not change any involved files, so it is fine for
      those, too.

      fixes in if_python3.c:

      - ``:pyfile`` did not work
      - indexing via slices did not work
      - crash in exit() after Py_Finalize() in windows (mentioned in my previous
      mail)

      build process:

      The previous solution was rather improvised.
      This one I think could be added to vim main line.
      It does not compromise python2x support.

      - Makefile, config.mk.in and configure.in are patched
      (also auto/configure, since that is part of the vim source distribution,
      although it can also be made via ``make autoconf``)

      The changes are such that python3 is considered an additional
      interpreter.

      In order to build you must edit the Makefile and uncomment
      --enable-python3interp
      or provide it as CONF_OPT_PYTHON in the command line, like ::

      CONF_OPT_PYTHON=--enable-python3interp make

      Note: The system must provide python3 ::

      ln -s python3 python3.1

      - patched make files for non-linux:
      - Make_mvc.mak
      To compile do this in the windows console::

      cd src
      msvc2008.bat
      nmake -f Make_mvc.mak GUI=yes PYTHON_VER=30 PYTHON=C:\Python30

      - Make_bc5.mak (changed, but not tested)
      - Make_cyg.mak
      - Make_ming.mak
      To compile do this in msys bash::

      PYTHON=C:/Python30 PYTHON_VER=30 GUI=yes make -f Make_ming.mak

      I have not touched Make_vms.mak and those ``*.mak`` files that do not
      have ``python``.

      PS: I have done this patch, because I use vim as python frontend and I
      wanted to start using python3.
      I would gladly maintain this python3 support. So if any problems turn up,
      please contact me.