Re: Add support for guidecolumn in VIM

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 55 , Jun 1, 2009
      On 28/05/09 05:10, _Lone wrote:
      [...]
      > I looked at adding 1px highlighting instead of whole character
      > background. But it seems it would be very difficult. The reason is
      > that the way highlighting works is by storing the background color for
      > character which is how various highlights are done.

      When talking aboiut the background, yes; but there are a lot other kinds
      of highlights, especially in the GUI:

      gui=NONE
      gui=reverse
      gui=bold
      gui=italic
      gui=underline
      gui=undercurl

      guibg=<color>
      guifg=<color>
      guisp=<color>

      What about extending these categories? (with appropriate ifdefs in the
      source)? For term and cterm (including GUI-enabled Linux Vim in Console
      mode) the choice would be more limited, probably by default term=reverse
      and ctermbg=<color>, or somesuch. Of course a new highlight group would
      have to be created, perhaps with a new 'highlight' option setting and
      default -- or maybe not, after all I don't see CursorLine and
      CursorColumn listed there.

      > I also looked at wide-character problem and that too looks very hard
      > to sovle though I would spend some more time this week if I can fix
      > that.

      As I think had been noted, there are several kinds of multicell characters:
      - hard tabs (with and without 'list' and/or 'listchars')
      - control characters (^X, ~Y, |Z, see :help 'isprint')
      - CJK wide
      - non-printable Unicode codepoints (at least <xx> and <xxxx>, see
      :help 'display' and the last sentence under 'isprint').

      It might be hard to highlight "just" the one cell in the column in
      question, but maybe you could look how Vim displays the CursorColumn
      highlight. (I think this has also been mentioned).

      > Thanks
      > _Lone

      Without ice cream life and fame are meaningless.

    • _Lone
      Message 55 of 55 , Jun 12, 2009
        On Jun 1, 6:28 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
        wrote:
        > On 28/05/09 05:10, _Lone wrote:
        > [...]
        >
        > > I looked at adding 1px highlighting instead of whole character
        > > background. But it seems it would be very difficult. The reason is
        > > that the way highlighting works is by storing the background color for
        > > character which is how various highlights are done.
        >
        > When talking aboiut the background, yes; but there are a lot other kinds
        > of highlights, especially in the GUI:
        >
        >         gui=NONE
        >         gui=reverse
        >         gui=bold
        >         gui=italic
        >         gui=underline
        >         gui=undercurl
        >
        >         guibg=<color>
        >         guifg=<color>
        >         guisp=<color>
        >
        > What about extending these categories? (with appropriate ifdefs in the
        > source)? For term and cterm (including GUI-enabled Linux Vim in Console
        > mode) the choice would be more limited, probably by default term=reverse
        > and ctermbg=<color>, or somesuch. Of course a new highlight group would
        > have to be created, perhaps with a new 'highlight' option setting and
        > default -- or maybe not, after all I don't see CursorLine and
        > CursorColumn listed there.
        >

        > > I also looked at wide-character problem and that too looks very hard
        > > to sovle though I would spend some more time this week if I can fix
        > > that.
        >
        > As I think had been noted, there are several kinds of multicell characters:
        >   - hard tabs (with and without 'list' and/or 'listchars')
        >   - control characters (^X, ~Y, |Z, see :help 'isprint')
        >   - CJK wide
        >   - non-printable Unicode codepoints (at least <xx> and <xxxx>, see
        > :help 'display' and the last sentence under 'isprint').
        >
        > It might be hard to highlight "just" the one cell in the column in
        > question, but maybe you could look how Vim displays the CursorColumn
        > highlight. (I think this has also been mentioned).
        >

        > > Thanks
        > > _Lone
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Tony.
        > --
        > Without ice cream life and fame are meaningless.

        Sorry for going off and on, the paying job is keeping me extremely
        busy. The CursorColumn and MarginColumn behaves in exactly the same
        manner. So whatever problems exist for CursorColumn, also exists for
        MarginColumn, including multi-cell characters.

        Thanks
        _Lone