Re: merge farsi handling into arabic.c

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 46 , May 6 11:05 PM
      On 04/05/09 13:07, Ali Gholami Rudi wrote:
      > Hi Tony,
      [...]
      >> @Ali: I've seen at least one of the "Farsi" letters, namely "Farsi yeh",
      >> used for the Arabic language in a language textbook ("Teach Yourself
      >> Arabic", and I haven't remembered the author's name), so I believe your
      >> patch would be useful even for the Arabic language. Of course the use of
      >> Farsi yeh can be simulated by using "Arabic" yeh in initial and medial
      >> positions, and alef maksura in isolated and final positions, but I'd
      >> call that workaround "inelegant".
      >
      > There is another problem. Farsi fonts might not be able to show them.

      hm, like Arabic fonts don't always include a "Farsi yeh" glyphset
      apparently.

      > Maybe in theory, the best way of doing it is relying on UnicodeData.txt
      > for fetching different forms of a combining letter instead of
      > hard-coding it but that is slow and requires including an external file
      > so it does not seem to be a good idea.

      Yes, me too I believe that relying on an external text file for that
      kind of stuff should be avoided if at all possible.

      > By the way, any ideas for handling NBSP (unicode 0x200C) and ZWJ
      > (unicode 0x200D)? Currently Vim shows them as "<200c>" and"<200d>".
      > How to hide them?
      >
      > Regards,
      > Ali

      U2000.pdf from the Unicode site lists them as U+200C ZERO-WIDTH
      NON-JOINER and U+200D ZERO-WIDTH JOINER (the NO-BREAK SPACE is U+00A0).
      Since they are zero-width characters but not combining characters, some
      artifact is necessary so that in Vim (a text editor, not a word
      processor) you could see that they're there and add or remove them if
      necessary. Vim shows all zero-width Unicode codepoints as <xxxx>, that's
      documented somewhere. I don't think you can hide them with plain-vanilla
      Vim, but with Vince-Negri's conceal/ownsyntax page (available as an
      unofficial patch on the vim_dev Google site) perhaps you could.

      When I need to break a word in the middle after an initial or medial
      shape (which is rare, but there are two examples on my front page, and I
      don't know all the fine points of Arabic Unicode), I may use a tatweel
      just before the break. There are other cases where that wouldn't be
      practical though; the Arabic dictionary on my table says whether a verb
      accepts a "person" or a "thing" as an object by means of the isolated
      and/or final shapes of the letter heh standing alone after the verb.

      27. You refer to your age as 3.x.

    • Ameretat Reith
      Message 46 of 46 , Oct 12, 2014
        On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 08:11:34 +0330
        Ali Gholami Rudi <ali.gholami.rudi@...> wrote:

        > I tested it and it is working wonderfully. The only issue is
        > ZWNJ (unicode 0x200c) and ZWJ (unicode 0x200d); I wonder if
        > the letters before and after these characters can be shaped
        > properly...

        For ZWNJ, I did a tiny modification telling `arabic_shape` in one of
        it's invocations, to separate letters based on previously entered ZWNJ
        character. ZWJ could be treated similarly but I doubt with current
        provided letters which are limited to Arabic and Farsi, there could be a
        use case for ZWJ.

        You can apply `zwnj.0.patch` on a recent vim tarball or `zwnj.1.patch`
        on top of your patch.