Re: Add support for guidecolumn in VIM

  • Dominique Pellé
    Message 1 of 55 , May 2 11:32 PM
      _Lone wrote:

      >> I have modified the patch. The name is now margincolumn. The behavior is:
      >> 'mc' = 0 -> off
      >> 'mc' > 0 -> highlightes the column.
      >> 'mc' < 0 -> makes 'mc' = 'tw + 1' and highlightes that column.
      >>
      >> I also updated the related documentation is option.txt.
      >>
      >> Thanks
      >> _Lone

      I've tested your updated patch with Vim-7.2.166 on Linux x86.
      So far it works as it should. No problem to report.

      I also think that the idea mentioned earlier in this thread to
      support multiple margincolumns is a good one.

      For example:set mc=40,80

      It can be handy when editing files with multiple columns.

      Thanks
      -- Dominique

    • _Lone
      Message 55 of 55 , Jun 12, 2009
        On Jun 1, 6:28 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
        wrote:
        > On 28/05/09 05:10, _Lone wrote:
        > [...]
        >
        > > I looked at adding 1px highlighting instead of whole character
        > > background. But it seems it would be very difficult. The reason is
        > > that the way highlighting works is by storing the background color for
        > > character which is how various highlights are done.
        >
        > When talking aboiut the background, yes; but there are a lot other kinds
        > of highlights, especially in the GUI:
        >
        >         gui=NONE
        >         gui=reverse
        >         gui=bold
        >         gui=italic
        >         gui=underline
        >         gui=undercurl
        >
        >         guibg=<color>
        >         guifg=<color>
        >         guisp=<color>
        >
        > What about extending these categories? (with appropriate ifdefs in the
        > source)? For term and cterm (including GUI-enabled Linux Vim in Console
        > mode) the choice would be more limited, probably by default term=reverse
        > and ctermbg=<color>, or somesuch. Of course a new highlight group would
        > have to be created, perhaps with a new 'highlight' option setting and
        > default -- or maybe not, after all I don't see CursorLine and
        > CursorColumn listed there.
        >

        > > I also looked at wide-character problem and that too looks very hard
        > > to sovle though I would spend some more time this week if I can fix
        > > that.
        >
        > As I think had been noted, there are several kinds of multicell characters:
        >   - hard tabs (with and without 'list' and/or 'listchars')
        >   - control characters (^X, ~Y, |Z, see :help 'isprint')
        >   - CJK wide
        >   - non-printable Unicode codepoints (at least <xx> and <xxxx>, see
        > :help 'display' and the last sentence under 'isprint').
        >
        > It might be hard to highlight "just" the one cell in the column in
        > question, but maybe you could look how Vim displays the CursorColumn
        > highlight. (I think this has also been mentioned).
        >

        > > Thanks
        > > _Lone
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Tony.
        > --
        > Without ice cream life and fame are meaningless.

        Sorry for going off and on, the paying job is keeping me extremely
        busy. The CursorColumn and MarginColumn behaves in exactly the same
        manner. So whatever problems exist for CursorColumn, also exists for
        MarginColumn, including multi-cell characters.

        Thanks
        _Lone