Re: Add support for guidecolumn in VIM

  • Kazuo Teramoto
    Message 1 of 55 , May 2, 2009
      On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 12:11 AM, _Lone <lost.stranger@...> wrote:
      > Are you running on Linux/Unix? I don't have Linux/Unix and I have only
      > tested with Windows. Can someone else who has access to *nix please
      > take a look? The crash seems to be in an area outside of the patch
      > changes but can very well be related to the patch.
      Yes I use Linux (I need to change the paths from \ to /) more
      precisely Arch Linux (64 bits)

      --
      «Dans la vie, rien n'est à craindre, tout est à comprendre»
      Marie Sklodowska Curie.

    • _Lone
      Message 55 of 55 , Jun 12 7:16 PM
        On Jun 1, 6:28 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
        wrote:
        > On 28/05/09 05:10, _Lone wrote:
        > [...]
        >
        > > I looked at adding 1px highlighting instead of whole character
        > > background. But it seems it would be very difficult. The reason is
        > > that the way highlighting works is by storing the background color for
        > > character which is how various highlights are done.
        >
        > When talking aboiut the background, yes; but there are a lot other kinds
        > of highlights, especially in the GUI:
        >
        >         gui=NONE
        >         gui=reverse
        >         gui=bold
        >         gui=italic
        >         gui=underline
        >         gui=undercurl
        >
        >         guibg=<color>
        >         guifg=<color>
        >         guisp=<color>
        >
        > What about extending these categories? (with appropriate ifdefs in the
        > source)? For term and cterm (including GUI-enabled Linux Vim in Console
        > mode) the choice would be more limited, probably by default term=reverse
        > and ctermbg=<color>, or somesuch. Of course a new highlight group would
        > have to be created, perhaps with a new 'highlight' option setting and
        > default -- or maybe not, after all I don't see CursorLine and
        > CursorColumn listed there.
        >

        > > I also looked at wide-character problem and that too looks very hard
        > > to sovle though I would spend some more time this week if I can fix
        > > that.
        >
        > As I think had been noted, there are several kinds of multicell characters:
        >   - hard tabs (with and without 'list' and/or 'listchars')
        >   - control characters (^X, ~Y, |Z, see :help 'isprint')
        >   - CJK wide
        >   - non-printable Unicode codepoints (at least <xx> and <xxxx>, see
        > :help 'display' and the last sentence under 'isprint').
        >
        > It might be hard to highlight "just" the one cell in the column in
        > question, but maybe you could look how Vim displays the CursorColumn
        > highlight. (I think this has also been mentioned).
        >

        > > Thanks
        > > _Lone
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Tony.
        > --
        > Without ice cream life and fame are meaningless.

        Sorry for going off and on, the paying job is keeping me extremely
        busy. The CursorColumn and MarginColumn behaves in exactly the same
        manner. So whatever problems exist for CursorColumn, also exists for
        MarginColumn, including multi-cell characters.

        Thanks
        _Lone