Re: Add support for guidecolumn in VIM

  • Kazuo Teramoto
    Message 1 of 55 , May 2, 2009
      On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 8:09 PM, Kazuo Teramoto <kaz.rag@...> wrote:
      > I'm getting segmentation faults when setting the guidecolumn to any number
      >
      > The gdb backtrace output is:

      > 0x00000000005374fa in showruler (always=0) at screen.c:9482
      > 9482 <le    if ((*p_stl != NUL || *curwin->w_p_stl != NUL) &&
      >     curwin->w_status_height)
      > (gdb) bt
      > #0  0x00000000005374fa in showruler (always=0) at screen.c:9482
      > #1  0x00000000004a7154 in main_loop (cmdwin=0, noexmode=0) at main.c:1141
      > #2  0x00000000004a6d1f in main (argc=2, argv=0x7fff53767528) at main.c:939

      If I change *curwin->w_p_stl to curwin->w_p_stl its works but this is
      not a part of patch, is this a vim bug?

      --
      «Dans la vie, rien n'est à craindre, tout est à comprendre»
      Marie Sklodowska Curie.

    • _Lone
      Message 55 of 55 , Jun 12, 2009
        On Jun 1, 6:28 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
        wrote:
        > On 28/05/09 05:10, _Lone wrote:
        > [...]
        >
        > > I looked at adding 1px highlighting instead of whole character
        > > background. But it seems it would be very difficult. The reason is
        > > that the way highlighting works is by storing the background color for
        > > character which is how various highlights are done.
        >
        > When talking aboiut the background, yes; but there are a lot other kinds
        > of highlights, especially in the GUI:
        >
        >         gui=NONE
        >         gui=reverse
        >         gui=bold
        >         gui=italic
        >         gui=underline
        >         gui=undercurl
        >
        >         guibg=<color>
        >         guifg=<color>
        >         guisp=<color>
        >
        > What about extending these categories? (with appropriate ifdefs in the
        > source)? For term and cterm (including GUI-enabled Linux Vim in Console
        > mode) the choice would be more limited, probably by default term=reverse
        > and ctermbg=<color>, or somesuch. Of course a new highlight group would
        > have to be created, perhaps with a new 'highlight' option setting and
        > default -- or maybe not, after all I don't see CursorLine and
        > CursorColumn listed there.
        >

        > > I also looked at wide-character problem and that too looks very hard
        > > to sovle though I would spend some more time this week if I can fix
        > > that.
        >
        > As I think had been noted, there are several kinds of multicell characters:
        >   - hard tabs (with and without 'list' and/or 'listchars')
        >   - control characters (^X, ~Y, |Z, see :help 'isprint')
        >   - CJK wide
        >   - non-printable Unicode codepoints (at least <xx> and <xxxx>, see
        > :help 'display' and the last sentence under 'isprint').
        >
        > It might be hard to highlight "just" the one cell in the column in
        > question, but maybe you could look how Vim displays the CursorColumn
        > highlight. (I think this has also been mentioned).
        >

        > > Thanks
        > > _Lone
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Tony.
        > --
        > Without ice cream life and fame are meaningless.

        Sorry for going off and on, the paying job is keeping me extremely
        busy. The CursorColumn and MarginColumn behaves in exactly the same
        manner. So whatever problems exist for CursorColumn, also exists for
        MarginColumn, including multi-cell characters.

        Thanks
        _Lone