Re: merge farsi handling into arabic.c

  • Ali Gholami Rudi
    Message 1 of 46 , May 2, 2009
      Hi Bram,

      Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
      > Ali Gholami Rudi wrote:
      > > Farsi is quite similar to arabic except for a few letters. This patch
      > > merges farsi support into arabic.c. AFAICS, farsi.c and fkmap option
      > > seem to be obsolete (unless someone is still using the pcf fonts).
      > >
      > > Also it might make sense to add a new farsi option, just like the arabic
      > > option, that when set implies "set rl" and "set keymap=persian".
      >
      > I don't use these languages, thus I need to rely on others to tell me
      > what works best.

      I've CC'ed the authors of arabic.c and farsi.c.

      > After including this patch, can we drop farsi.c?

      Part of it implements the input method which is now done separately
      using the keymap option; those parts *are* obsolete. Also it uses Farsi
      ISIR-3342 encoding (is there anyone who uses that encoding?) while
      arabic.c uses utf-8. If the included farsi fonts are for that specific
      encoding, it might make sense to drop farsi.c, fkmap option and the
      fonts altogether (but I might be missing something). Mortaza, what do
      you think?

      Anyway, AFAICT currently the only option for those how use utf-8 is "set
      rl". But it fails to combine farsi-specific characters and this patch
      fixes it. Note that farsi input method is already available using
      "set keymap=persian".

      > There should also be an update to the documentation, most users don't
      > look at the source code to figure out what to do :-).

      Does it make sense to add some sections to arabic.txt? Most of it
      applies to farsi, too.

      Regards,
      Ali

    • Ameretat Reith
      Message 46 of 46 , Oct 12, 2014
        On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 08:11:34 +0330
        Ali Gholami Rudi <ali.gholami.rudi@...> wrote:

        > I tested it and it is working wonderfully. The only issue is
        > ZWNJ (unicode 0x200c) and ZWJ (unicode 0x200d); I wonder if
        > the letters before and after these characters can be shaped
        > properly...

        For ZWNJ, I did a tiny modification telling `arabic_shape` in one of
        it's invocations, to separate letters based on previously entered ZWNJ
        character. ZWJ could be treated similarly but I doubt with current
        provided letters which are limited to Arabic and Farsi, there could be a
        use case for ZWJ.

        You can apply `zwnj.0.patch` on a recent vim tarball or `zwnj.1.patch`
        on top of your patch.