Re: Runtime error on Linux (undefined symbol)

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 5, 2009
      On 05/04/09 08:24, Mun Johl wrote:
      > Hi Tony,
      >
      > Thanks very much for your reply.
      > Please see my comments below.
      >
      > On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 05:23 PM PDT, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      [...]
      > TM> Oh, and BTW: you do have the gtk2-devel package installed, and with the
      > TM> same version as your gtk2 package, don't you? (I have them both at
      > TM> 2.14.4-8.6.2, part of which could be a SuSE sub-versioning system.)
      > TM> Without them I don't expect that configure would enable the GTK2 GUI
      > TM> anyway. Try:
      > TM>
      > TM> rpm -qa|grep gtk2-[d2]
      >
      > That is a good question. My system originally only came with the
      > following gtk2 package: gtk2-2.10.4-20.el5 . Because I did not have the
      > gtk2-devel package, vim's configure script was not enabling the gui.
      > Therefore, I searched for what I could find regarding gtk2 on the RedHat
      > site.
      >
      > It turns out that the v2.10.4 release was the most recent package they
      > had for both gtk2 and gtk2-devel; and that release was dated Dec 2007 .
      > Because that release was old, I downloaded the gtk2 v2.16 sources and
      > compiled everything up and installed them. My assumption was that the
      > sources (along with the list of dependencies) would of included
      > everything that comes with the gtk2 and gtk2-devel packages. But I
      > certainly don't know that for a fact.
      >
      > I'll try and see what comes in the gtk2 and gtk2-devel packages and
      > ensure I have everything I need. I may also try uninstalling the old
      > gtk2 package to ensure there isn't some incompatibility on my system.
      >
      > Thanks again, Tony.

      Vim has been using GTK2 for quite some time, so even a year-and-a half
      old version ought to work with it. If I were you, I would try to compile
      Vim with those gtk2 and gtk2-devel packages from the RedHat site, but
      also check my installed version of the RedHat OS against the latest
      RedHat and Fedora versions offered for download, then either upgrade if
      I were out of date, or if I weren't, complain on bugzilla.redhat.com (or
      something; I didn't check the URL) about outdated GTK2 packages.

      An apple every eight hours will keep three doctors away.

    • Mun Johl
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 7, 2009
        Hi Tony,

        Thanks very much for your reply.

        Once I uninstalled out of /usr/local and compiled and installed
        everything into /usr, 'vim - g' worked! I now have to get my fonts
        configured correctly, but I've definitely made progress.

        Thanks again for the assistance!

        Mun

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 7, 2009
          On 07/04/09 18:36, Mun Johl wrote:

          > Hi Tony,
          >
          > Thanks very much for your reply.
          >
          > Once I uninstalled out of /usr/local and compiled and installed
          > everything into /usr, 'vim - g' worked! I now have to get my fonts
          > configured correctly, but I've definitely made progress.
          >
          > Thanks again for the assistance!
          >
          > Best regards,

          In GTK2, it's rather easy. The 'guifont' format for that version is just
          font-name + space + size (but remember that spaces must be
          backslash-escaped in the ":set" statement). For instance I use

          :set guifont=Bistream\ Vera\ Sans\ Mono\ 7

          with some additional statements above and below to make my vimrc
          independent of GUI flavour. See details at
          http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Setting_the_font_in_the_GUI

          Having discovered the possibility that other creatures could be used
          for sexual intercourse, early man was likely to have made many such
          attempts ... though it is doubtful that he was so sexually carnivorous
          as the Christian and Jewish Adam, who, rabbinical interpreters of the
          Old Testament tell us, had intercourse with every creature before God
          finally hit upon the idea of woman and created Eve.
          -- R. E. Masters

        • Mun Johl
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 9, 2009
            Hi Tony,

            On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:19 PM PDT, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
            TM> On 07/04/09 18:36, Mun Johl wrote:
            TM> >
            TM> > Hi Tony,
            TM> >
            TM> > Thanks very much for your reply.
            TM> >
            TM> > Once I uninstalled out of /usr/local and compiled and installed
            TM> > everything into /usr, 'vim - g' worked! I now have to get my fonts
            TM> > configured correctly, but I've definitely made progress.
            TM> >
            TM> > Thanks again for the assistance!
            TM> >
            TM> > Best regards,
            TM> >
            TM>
            TM> In GTK2, it's rather easy. The 'guifont' format for that version is just
            TM> font-name + space + size (but remember that spaces must be
            TM> backslash-escaped in the ":set" statement). For instance I use
            TM>
            TM> :set guifont=Bistream\ Vera\ Sans\ Mono\ 7
            TM>
            TM> with some additional statements above and below to make my vimrc
            TM> independent of GUI flavour. See details at
            TM> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Setting_the_font_in_the_GUI

            Great write-up, thanks! It answered my main point of confusion which
            was why on my Solaris box using GTK I can specify the fonts with
            X-server names (e.g. 9x15) but on my Linux box using GTK2 I can't. If I
            read your tip correctly, you imply that GTK2 font specification differs
            from GTK, and I assume GTK uses the older X-server fonts.

            It's kind of unfortunate GTK2 doesn't support both styles, but such is
            life I suppose.

            Thanks very much for all the help, Tony.

            Mun

            TM> Best regards,
            TM> Tony.
            TM> --
            TM> Having discovered the possibility that other creatures could be used
            TM> for sexual intercourse, early man was likely to have made many such
            TM> attempts ... though it is doubtful that he was so sexually carnivorous
            TM> as the Christian and Jewish Adam, who, rabbinical interpreters of the
            TM> Old Testament tell us, had intercourse with every creature before God
            TM> finally hit upon the idea of woman and created Eve.
            TM> -- R. E. Masters

          • Tony Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 9, 2009
              On 10/04/09 01:41, Mun Johl wrote:

              > Hi Tony,
              >
              > Please see my comments below.
              >
              > On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:19 PM PDT, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
              [...]
              > TM> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Setting_the_font_in_the_GUI
              >
              > Great write-up, thanks! It answered my main point of confusion which
              > was why on my Solaris box using GTK I can specify the fonts with
              > X-server names (e.g. 9x15) but on my Linux box using GTK2 I can't. If I
              > read your tip correctly, you imply that GTK2 font specification differs
              > from GTK, and I assume GTK uses the older X-server fonts.

              Yes, GTK1 uses what I called "other-X11" 'guifont' (also known as XLFD),
              which is incompatible with the GTK2 'guifont'.

              > It's kind of unfortunate GTK2 doesn't support both styles, but such is
              > life I suppose.

              The change happened before I came to Vim (and I was still mostly on
              Windows at first), so yes, I suppose in this case we should roll with
              the ball.

              > Thanks very much for all the help, Tony.

              My pleasure.

              > Best regards,

              Every four seconds a woman has a baby. Our problem is to find this
              woman and stop her.