Re: Bug: Command-line not always erased by ":echo"

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2009
      Tony Mechelynck wrote:

      > ":echo" apparently erases only part of the command-line in some
      > circumstances.
      >
      > After defining the following function
      >
      > function TestForX()
      > let @+ = " "
      > let x = @+
      > let @+ = '--' . x
      > redir @"
      > silent reg
      > redir END
      > let @+ = x
      > return (@" =~ '\n"+ ')
      > endfunction
      >
      > (which actually tests, not for X but for clipboard usability),
      >
      > :echo TestForX()
      >
      > returns either ":echo TestF0" or ":echo TestF1". This problem is
      > apparently only cosmetic, since
      >
      > :if TestForX()|echo 'yes'|else|echo 'no'|endif
      >
      > returns ":if TestForyes" or ":if TestForno", not always the same string.
      >
      > So, for some reason, if that function was used, ":echo" does not erase
      > the first 11 characters on the command-line.
      >
      > If it makes any difference, my 'cmdheight' is set to 2 and I tested this
      > using a Huge Vim 7.2.148 for GTK2/Gnome2 in console mode on Linux, both
      > in konsole (where it takes the "true" branch of the above ":if") and in
      > the Linux console (where it takes the "else" branch)...

      I see the problem. When redirecting silently the message column is
      still advanced and it's never reset. Not avancing the column causes
      trouble for some lists, so the solution will be to reset the column
      after the command is done.

      --
      GALAHAD turns back. We see from his POV the lovely ZOOT standing by him
      smiling enchantingly and a number of equally delectable GIRLIES draped