Re: Runtime error on Linux (undefined symbol)

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2009
      On 04/04/09 00:14, Mun Johl wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I complied vim v7.2.148 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux v5.3, but when I try
      > to run with the gui (GTK2), I get the following error:
      >
      > ./vim: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_signal_new_class_handler
      >

      > I updated my libs to glib-2.20.0 and gtk+-2.16.0, yet the problem
      > persists. I'm not really sure what I should try next.

      > Thanks,

      What's your gcc version? (as shown either by "gcc --version", or by the
      appropriate line in the output of "rpm -qa |grep gcc")

      I'm on openSUSE 11.1 with gcc 4.3.2 and my gvim 7.2.148 (with
      GTK2/Gnome2) compiles and runs flawlessly. But I don't have anything in
      /usr/local/lib whose filename includes "gtk". OTOH I have lots of GTK
      libraries in /usr/lib (without /local/). The following look most
      interesting:
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 2009-03-10 18:32 libgtk-x11-2.0.so ->
      libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1400.4*
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 2009-03-10 18:07 libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 ->
      libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1400.4*
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4137476 2009-02-25 18:34 libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1400.4*

      Oh, and BTW: you do have the gtk2-devel package installed, and with the
      same version as your gtk2 package, don't you? (I have them both at
      2.14.4-8.6.2, part of which could be a SuSE sub-versioning system.)
      Without them I don't expect that configure would enable the GTK2 GUI
      anyway. Try:

      rpm -qa|grep gtk2-[d2]

      and see if you get them both, with identical version numbers. (That's
      assuming that the package names don't differ too much between RedHat and
      SuSE. If they do, you may have to hunt.)

      The New Testament offers the basis for modern computer coding theory,
      in the form of an affirmation of the binary number system.

      But let your communication be Yea, yea; nay, nay: for
      whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.
      -- Matthew 5:37

    • Mun Johl
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4, 2009
        Hi Tony,

        Thanks very much for your reply.
        Please see my comments below.

        On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 05:23 PM PDT, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
        TM> On 04/04/09 00:14, Mun Johl wrote:
        TM> >
        TM> > Hi,
        TM> >
        TM> > I complied vim v7.2.148 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux v5.3, but when I try
        TM> > to run with the gui (GTK2), I get the following error:
        TM> >
        TM> > ./vim: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_signal_new_class_handler
        TM> >
        TM> >
        TM> > I updated my libs to glib-2.20.0 and gtk+-2.16.0, yet the problem
        TM> > persists. I'm not really sure what I should try next.
        TM> >
        TM> > Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
        TM> >
        TM> > Thanks,
        TM> >
        TM>
        TM> What's your gcc version? (as shown either by "gcc --version", or by the
        TM> appropriate line in the output of "rpm -qa |grep gcc")

        gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-44)

        TM> I'm on openSUSE 11.1 with gcc 4.3.2 and my gvim 7.2.148 (with
        TM> GTK2/Gnome2) compiles and runs flawlessly. But I don't have anything in
        TM> /usr/local/lib whose filename includes "gtk". OTOH I have lots of GTK
        TM> libraries in /usr/lib (without /local/). The following look most
        TM> interesting:
        TM> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 2009-03-10 18:32 libgtk-x11-2.0.so ->
        TM> libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1400.4*
        TM> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 2009-03-10 18:07 libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 ->
        TM> libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1400.4*
        TM> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4137476 2009-02-25 18:34 libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1400.4*
        TM>
        TM>
        TM> Oh, and BTW: you do have the gtk2-devel package installed, and with the
        TM> same version as your gtk2 package, don't you? (I have them both at
        TM> 2.14.4-8.6.2, part of which could be a SuSE sub-versioning system.)
        TM> Without them I don't expect that configure would enable the GTK2 GUI
        TM> anyway. Try:
        TM>
        TM> rpm -qa|grep gtk2-[d2]

        That is a good question. My system originally only came with the
        following gtk2 package: gtk2-2.10.4-20.el5 . Because I did not have the
        gtk2-devel package, vim's configure script was not enabling the gui.
        Therefore, I searched for what I could find regarding gtk2 on the RedHat
        site.

        It turns out that the v2.10.4 release was the most recent package they
        had for both gtk2 and gtk2-devel; and that release was dated Dec 2007 .
        Because that release was old, I downloaded the gtk2 v2.16 sources and
        compiled everything up and installed them. My assumption was that the
        sources (along with the list of dependencies) would of included
        everything that comes with the gtk2 and gtk2-devel packages. But I
        certainly don't know that for a fact.

        I'll try and see what comes in the gtk2 and gtk2-devel packages and
        ensure I have everything I need. I may also try uninstalling the old
        gtk2 package to ensure there isn't some incompatibility on my system.

        Thanks again, Tony.

        --
        Mun

        TM> and see if you get them both, with identical version numbers. (That's
        TM> assuming that the package names don't differ too much between RedHat and
        TM> SuSE. If they do, you may have to hunt.)
        TM>
        TM>
        TM> Best regards,
        TM> Tony.
        TM> --
        TM> The New Testament offers the basis for modern computer coding theory,
        TM> in the form of an affirmation of the binary number system.
        TM>
        TM> But let your communication be Yea, yea; nay, nay: for
        TM> whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.
        TM> -- Matthew 5:37

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5, 2009
          On 05/04/09 08:24, Mun Johl wrote:
          > Hi Tony,
          >
          > Thanks very much for your reply.
          > Please see my comments below.
          >
          > On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 05:23 PM PDT, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
          [...]
          > TM> Oh, and BTW: you do have the gtk2-devel package installed, and with the
          > TM> same version as your gtk2 package, don't you? (I have them both at
          > TM> 2.14.4-8.6.2, part of which could be a SuSE sub-versioning system.)
          > TM> Without them I don't expect that configure would enable the GTK2 GUI
          > TM> anyway. Try:
          > TM>
          > TM> rpm -qa|grep gtk2-[d2]
          >
          > That is a good question. My system originally only came with the
          > following gtk2 package: gtk2-2.10.4-20.el5 . Because I did not have the
          > gtk2-devel package, vim's configure script was not enabling the gui.
          > Therefore, I searched for what I could find regarding gtk2 on the RedHat
          > site.
          >
          > It turns out that the v2.10.4 release was the most recent package they
          > had for both gtk2 and gtk2-devel; and that release was dated Dec 2007 .
          > Because that release was old, I downloaded the gtk2 v2.16 sources and
          > compiled everything up and installed them. My assumption was that the
          > sources (along with the list of dependencies) would of included
          > everything that comes with the gtk2 and gtk2-devel packages. But I
          > certainly don't know that for a fact.
          >
          > I'll try and see what comes in the gtk2 and gtk2-devel packages and
          > ensure I have everything I need. I may also try uninstalling the old
          > gtk2 package to ensure there isn't some incompatibility on my system.
          >
          > Thanks again, Tony.

          Vim has been using GTK2 for quite some time, so even a year-and-a half
          old version ought to work with it. If I were you, I would try to compile
          Vim with those gtk2 and gtk2-devel packages from the RedHat site, but
          also check my installed version of the RedHat OS against the latest
          RedHat and Fedora versions offered for download, then either upgrade if
          I were out of date, or if I weren't, complain on bugzilla.redhat.com (or
          something; I didn't check the URL) about outdated GTK2 packages.

          An apple every eight hours will keep three doctors away.

        • Mun Johl
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 7, 2009
            Hi Tony,

            Thanks very much for your reply.

            Once I uninstalled out of /usr/local and compiled and installed
            everything into /usr, 'vim - g' worked! I now have to get my fonts
            configured correctly, but I've definitely made progress.

            Thanks again for the assistance!

            Mun

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 7, 2009
              On 07/04/09 18:36, Mun Johl wrote:

              > Hi Tony,
              >
              > Thanks very much for your reply.
              >
              > Once I uninstalled out of /usr/local and compiled and installed
              > everything into /usr, 'vim - g' worked! I now have to get my fonts
              > configured correctly, but I've definitely made progress.
              >
              > Thanks again for the assistance!
              >
              > Best regards,

              In GTK2, it's rather easy. The 'guifont' format for that version is just
              font-name + space + size (but remember that spaces must be
              backslash-escaped in the ":set" statement). For instance I use

              :set guifont=Bistream\ Vera\ Sans\ Mono\ 7

              with some additional statements above and below to make my vimrc
              independent of GUI flavour. See details at
              http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Setting_the_font_in_the_GUI

              Having discovered the possibility that other creatures could be used
              for sexual intercourse, early man was likely to have made many such
              attempts ... though it is doubtful that he was so sexually carnivorous
              as the Christian and Jewish Adam, who, rabbinical interpreters of the
              Old Testament tell us, had intercourse with every creature before God
              finally hit upon the idea of woman and created Eve.
              -- R. E. Masters

            • Mun Johl
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 9, 2009
                Hi Tony,

                On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:19 PM PDT, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
                TM> On 07/04/09 18:36, Mun Johl wrote:
                TM> >
                TM> > Hi Tony,
                TM> >
                TM> > Thanks very much for your reply.
                TM> >
                TM> > Once I uninstalled out of /usr/local and compiled and installed
                TM> > everything into /usr, 'vim - g' worked! I now have to get my fonts
                TM> > configured correctly, but I've definitely made progress.
                TM> >
                TM> > Thanks again for the assistance!
                TM> >
                TM> > Best regards,
                TM> >
                TM>
                TM> In GTK2, it's rather easy. The 'guifont' format for that version is just
                TM> font-name + space + size (but remember that spaces must be
                TM> backslash-escaped in the ":set" statement). For instance I use
                TM>
                TM> :set guifont=Bistream\ Vera\ Sans\ Mono\ 7
                TM>
                TM> with some additional statements above and below to make my vimrc
                TM> independent of GUI flavour. See details at
                TM> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Setting_the_font_in_the_GUI

                Great write-up, thanks! It answered my main point of confusion which
                was why on my Solaris box using GTK I can specify the fonts with
                X-server names (e.g. 9x15) but on my Linux box using GTK2 I can't. If I
                read your tip correctly, you imply that GTK2 font specification differs
                from GTK, and I assume GTK uses the older X-server fonts.

                It's kind of unfortunate GTK2 doesn't support both styles, but such is
                life I suppose.

                Thanks very much for all the help, Tony.

                Mun

                TM> Best regards,
                TM> Tony.
                TM> --
                TM> Having discovered the possibility that other creatures could be used
                TM> for sexual intercourse, early man was likely to have made many such
                TM> attempts ... though it is doubtful that he was so sexually carnivorous
                TM> as the Christian and Jewish Adam, who, rabbinical interpreters of the
                TM> Old Testament tell us, had intercourse with every creature before God
                TM> finally hit upon the idea of woman and created Eve.
                TM> -- R. E. Masters

              • Tony Mechelynck
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 9, 2009
                  On 10/04/09 01:41, Mun Johl wrote:

                  > Hi Tony,
                  >
                  > Please see my comments below.
                  >
                  > On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:19 PM PDT, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
                  [...]
                  > TM> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Setting_the_font_in_the_GUI
                  >
                  > Great write-up, thanks! It answered my main point of confusion which
                  > was why on my Solaris box using GTK I can specify the fonts with
                  > X-server names (e.g. 9x15) but on my Linux box using GTK2 I can't. If I
                  > read your tip correctly, you imply that GTK2 font specification differs
                  > from GTK, and I assume GTK uses the older X-server fonts.

                  Yes, GTK1 uses what I called "other-X11" 'guifont' (also known as XLFD),
                  which is incompatible with the GTK2 'guifont'.

                  > It's kind of unfortunate GTK2 doesn't support both styles, but such is
                  > life I suppose.

                  The change happened before I came to Vim (and I was still mostly on
                  Windows at first), so yes, I suppose in this case we should roll with
                  the ball.

                  > Thanks very much for all the help, Tony.

                  My pleasure.

                  > Best regards,

                  Every four seconds a woman has a baby. Our problem is to find this
                  woman and stop her.