Re: Font handling issues/suggestions/bugs

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2009
      On 02/04/09 09:25, George V. Reilly wrote:

      > On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 12:05 AM, Ron Aaron<rambamist@...> wrote:
      >> On Apr 2, 9:57 am, "George V. Reilly"<geo...@...> wrote:
      [...]
      >>> On a related note, it would be nice if it were possible to supply a
      >>> set of alternatives to guifont, as in CSS. GVim would work its way
      >>> down the list until it found one that was present on the system; e.g.,
      >>>
      >>> :set guifont=Consolas:h12,Monaco:h12,Andale_Mono:h13,Lucida_Console,Courier:h13
      >>>
      >>> And then maybe the Vim-supplied fallback value of guifont could be
      >>> changed to something pleasanter, especially on Windows, to, say
      >>> Consolas,Lucida Console,Terminal.
      >
      >> guifont already does exactly this - see 'help guifont'. I've got gfn
      >> set to something like what you list already.
      >
      > Damn! I can't believe that I missed that all these years.

      The difference between Vim and HTML/CSS is that in Vim the list search
      is global (the list will be searched once when you set the option, and
      the leftmost font found on the system will be applied to the whole of
      Vim) while in HTML and CSS it is characterwise (for every character, the
      first font in the list which has a nondefault glyph for that character
      will be applied to it).

      The Army has carried the American ... ideal to its logical conclusion.
      Not only do they prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, creed
      and color, but also on ability.
      -- T. Lehrer