Re: Font handling issues/suggestions/bugs

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2009
      On Apr 2, 2:25 am, "George V. Reilly" <geo...@...> wrote:

      > I think the assumption that the entire canvas is a grid of same-sized
      > character cells is baked deep into Vim. (I'm using "window" in the Vim
      > sense, as in :split.)

      Maybe it would be possible to have guifont local to a tab? There
      aren't currently any tab-local options, but maybe there should be :-)

      This might not be possible, because I notice that the GUI window (as
      opposed to the Vim window) changes sizes when you change the guifont
      option.

      But, I know tabs need some sort of independence, because you can have
      a separate diff in each tab, for example.

      One of these days I need to start hacking the C code so I know what
      I'm talking about in situations like these...
    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2009
        On 02/04/09 09:25, George V. Reilly wrote:

        > On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 12:05 AM, Ron Aaron<rambamist@...> wrote:
        >> On Apr 2, 9:57 am, "George V. Reilly"<geo...@...> wrote:
        [...]
        >>> On a related note, it would be nice if it were possible to supply a
        >>> set of alternatives to guifont, as in CSS. GVim would work its way
        >>> down the list until it found one that was present on the system; e.g.,
        >>>
        >>> :set guifont=Consolas:h12,Monaco:h12,Andale_Mono:h13,Lucida_Console,Courier:h13
        >>>
        >>> And then maybe the Vim-supplied fallback value of guifont could be
        >>> changed to something pleasanter, especially on Windows, to, say
        >>> Consolas,Lucida Console,Terminal.
        >
        >> guifont already does exactly this - see 'help guifont'. I've got gfn
        >> set to something like what you list already.
        >
        > Damn! I can't believe that I missed that all these years.

        The difference between Vim and HTML/CSS is that in Vim the list search
        is global (the list will be searched once when you set the option, and
        the leftmost font found on the system will be applied to the whole of
        Vim) while in HTML and CSS it is characterwise (for every character, the
        first font in the list which has a nondefault glyph for that character
        will be applied to it).

        The Army has carried the American ... ideal to its logical conclusion.
        Not only do they prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, creed
        and color, but also on ability.
        -- T. Lehrer