Re: Font handling issues/suggestions/bugs

  • George V. Reilly
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2009
      On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 12:05 AM, Ron Aaron <rambamist@...> wrote:
      > On Apr 2, 9:57 am, "George V. Reilly" <geo...@...> wrote:
      >> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 11:23 PM, Ron Aaron <rambam...@...> wrote:

      >> > It would also be "really nice" to allow a per-window font. That is,
      >> > make 'gfn' a window-specific setting. That might not be too hard, but
      >> > I don't know if Bram will agree to it.

      >> If you had Courier:h12 in one window and Monaco:h15 in another, how
      >> would you reconcile the two grids?

      > Why do you need to reconcile two grids? Have different grids in
      > different windows - what is the problem with that?

      I think the assumption that the entire canvas is a grid of same-sized
      character cells is baked deep into Vim. (I'm using "window" in the Vim
      sense, as in :split.)

      >> On a related note, it would be nice if it were possible to supply a
      >> set of alternatives to guifont, as in CSS. GVim would work its way
      >> down the list until it found one that was present on the system; e.g.,
      >>
      >> :set guifont=Consolas:h12,Monaco:h12,Andale_Mono:h13,Lucida_Console,Courier:h13
      >>
      >> And then maybe the Vim-supplied fallback value of guifont could be
      >> changed to something pleasanter, especially on Windows, to, say
      >> Consolas,Lucida Console,Terminal.

      > guifont already does exactly this - see 'help guifont'. I've got gfn
      > set to something like what you list already.

      Damn! I can't believe that I missed that all these years.
      --
      /George V. Reilly george@...
      http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog http://blogs.cozi.com/tech

    • Ron Aaron
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2009
        > > guifont already does exactly this - see 'help guifont'. I've got gfn
        > > set to something like what you list already.
        >
        > Damn! I can't believe that I missed that all these years.

        vim is a veritable treasure-trove ;)
      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2009
          On Apr 2, 2:25 am, "George V. Reilly" <geo...@...> wrote:

          > I think the assumption that the entire canvas is a grid of same-sized
          > character cells is baked deep into Vim. (I'm using "window" in the Vim
          > sense, as in :split.)

          Maybe it would be possible to have guifont local to a tab? There
          aren't currently any tab-local options, but maybe there should be :-)

          This might not be possible, because I notice that the GUI window (as
          opposed to the Vim window) changes sizes when you change the guifont
          option.

          But, I know tabs need some sort of independence, because you can have
          a separate diff in each tab, for example.

          One of these days I need to start hacking the C code so I know what
          I'm talking about in situations like these...
        • Tony Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2009
            On 02/04/09 09:25, George V. Reilly wrote:

            > On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 12:05 AM, Ron Aaron<rambamist@...> wrote:
            >> On Apr 2, 9:57 am, "George V. Reilly"<geo...@...> wrote:
            [...]
            >>> On a related note, it would be nice if it were possible to supply a
            >>> set of alternatives to guifont, as in CSS. GVim would work its way
            >>> down the list until it found one that was present on the system; e.g.,
            >>>
            >>> :set guifont=Consolas:h12,Monaco:h12,Andale_Mono:h13,Lucida_Console,Courier:h13
            >>>
            >>> And then maybe the Vim-supplied fallback value of guifont could be
            >>> changed to something pleasanter, especially on Windows, to, say
            >>> Consolas,Lucida Console,Terminal.
            >
            >> guifont already does exactly this - see 'help guifont'. I've got gfn
            >> set to something like what you list already.
            >
            > Damn! I can't believe that I missed that all these years.

            The difference between Vim and HTML/CSS is that in Vim the list search
            is global (the list will be searched once when you set the option, and
            the leftmost font found on the system will be applied to the whole of
            Vim) while in HTML and CSS it is characterwise (for every character, the
            first font in the list which has a nondefault glyph for that character
            will be applied to it).

            The Army has carried the American ... ideal to its logical conclusion.
            Not only do they prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, creed
            and color, but also on ability.
            -- T. Lehrer