Re: Unable to display Hebrew correctly on Mac OS/X

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2009
      On Mar 31, 8:18 am, Ron Aaron <rambam...@...> wrote:
      > On the other OSes, combining characters draw correctly (or close to
      > correctly) positioned.  On the other OSes, the fonts which have Hebrew
      > characters (like Miriam Fixed) can be used to display Hebrew, whereas
      > I still can't do that on the Mac.
      >
      > Perhaps have a "guifont2" option, which is the fallback font?  I don't
      > know if that would work, perhaps there is an option yet to be set in
      > the font creation or something?  I do know that e.g. OpenOffice has
      > problems getting the positioning correct, while XeLaTex doesn't
      > (because it really uses the font information, so if a font is properly
      > coded it looks good).

      In principle, the 'guifont' option can be a comma-separated list of
      several fonts, and the first (leftmost) of them which is found will be
      used. However, IIUC Vim makes this choice globally, unlike HTML <font
      face=...> and CSS { font-family: ... } where the norm is IIUC to make
      the choice character by character.

      Maybe a change of how that option works in that respect ought to
      belong on Vim's todo list? Bram, what do you think?

      DENNIS: Oh, very nice. King, eh! I expect you've got a palace and
      fine
      clothes and courtiers and plenty of food. And how d'you get
      that? By
      exploiting the workers! By hanging on to outdated imperialist
      dogma
      which perpetuates the social and economic differences in our
      society!
      PICTURES LTD