Re: Vista - Gvim 7.2 - gvim forcing read only _vimrc and not picking changes made in external editor

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 6, 2009
      On 06/03/09 23:26, John Beckett wrote:
      > Edmon wrote:
      >> I am running Gvim 7.2 on Vista.
      >>
      >> I want to modify startup settings and fonts and for some
      >> reason _vimrc is being opened in read only mode, and I cannot
      >> get to open it other way.
      >
      > I do not want to understand Vista, but on XP a user does not have write
      > permission to files under the "Program Files" directory. If you install
      > from some package (such as "Vim without Cream") you will probably end up
      > with your files under Program Files.
      >
      > I run as a user (not in Administrators or Power Users groups), and put
      > all my tools (and Vim) under a bin directory where I do have write
      > permission.
      >
      > This tip has a little info on where you might put vimrc:
      > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vimrc
      >
      > John

      Even when installing from "Vim without Cream", the normal place for a
      vimrc is what Vim regards as $HOME, and that is normally not under
      "Program Files" but under that particular user's personal directory -- see

      :echo $HOME

      when running Vim.

      However, if Vim finds no $HOME/_vimrc and no $HOME/.vimrc, on Windows it
      will also look for $VIM/_vimrc, and that indeed ussssssually means
      C:\Program Files\Vim\_vimrc. If that's where your _vimrc is now, try the
      following:

      :view $VIM/_vimrc
      :saveas $HOME/_vimrc

      The file should not be readonly anymore, and you ought to be able to
      edit it normally using Vim, or any other editor for that matter. Also, a
      _vimrc in $HOME will be preferred to one in $VIM so you don't need to
      delete that other version (which would require administrator's
      privileges, and on Vista, IIUC, even an administrator's account does
      _not_ have those privileges until or unless you explicitly ask for
      them), unless that $VIM/_vimrc shouldn't be available to all users.

      Note that regardless of whether or not a $HOME/_vimrc is present, Vim
      looks first for a $VIM/vimrc (with no underscxore or dot prepended) and
      sources it if found. (This is called a "system vimrc".) Only then does
      it look for $HOME/_vimrc, sources it if found, and looks for it at other
      places if not found.

      ERIC IDLE PLAYED: THE DEAD COLLECTOR, MR BINT (A VILLAGE NE'ER-DO -WELL VERY
      KEEN ON BURNING WITCHES), SIR ROBIN, THE GUARD WHO
      DOESN'T
      HICOUGH BUT TRIES TO GET THINGS STRAIGHT, CONCORDE (SIR
      LAUNCELOT'S TRUSTY STEED), ROGER THE SHRUBBER (A
      SHRUBBER),
      BROTHER MAYNARD
      PICTURES LTD

    • Mark Petryk