[patch] fixed string "[Command Line]" not translated with gettext

  • Dominique Pelle
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
      Buffer name "[Command Line]" is not translated with gettext.
      This is the buffer name which shows up when doing q:

      Attached patch (from Vim-7.2.128) allows to translate it,
      for those who use Vim with non-English locales.

      Regards
      -- Dominique

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
        Dominique Pelle wrote:

        > Buffer name "[Command Line]" is not translated with gettext.
        > This is the buffer name which shows up when doing q:
        >
        > Attached patch (from Vim-7.2.128) allows to translate it,
        > for those who use Vim with non-English locales.

        Not translating this is more or less intentional. One can use this name
        to find the buffer. I thought it was not much of a problem not
        translating this.

        145. You e-mail your boss, informing him you'll be late.

      • Dominique Pelle
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
          Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Dominique Pelle wrote:
          >
          >> Buffer name "[Command Line]" is not translated with gettext.
          >> This is the buffer name which shows up when doing  q:
          >>
          >> Attached patch (from Vim-7.2.128) allows to translate it,
          >> for those who use Vim with non-English locales.
          >
          > Not translating this is more or less intentional.  One can use this name
          > to find the buffer.  I thought it was not much of a problem not
          > translating this.

          OK, that's fine then. Some other special buffers such as
          [No Name], [Quickfix List], [Location List], [Preview], [Scratch]
          are translated with gettext though, which is a bit inconsistent
          if [Command Line] buffer is not translated. But it's only a
          nitpicking thing.

          Is the buffer name string the only way to identify what kind of
          special buffer it is?

          Regards
          -- Dominique

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
            Dominique Pelle wrote:

            > >> Buffer name "[Command Line]" is not translated with gettext.
            > >> This is the buffer name which shows up when doing =A0q:
            > >>
            > >> Attached patch (from Vim-7.2.128) allows to translate it,
            > >> for those who use Vim with non-English locales.
            > >
            > > Not translating this is more or less intentional. =A0One can use this nam=
            > > to find the buffer. =A0I thought it was not much of a problem not
            > > translating this.
            >
            > OK, that's fine then. Some other special buffers such as
            > [No Name], [Quickfix List], [Location List], [Preview], [Scratch]
            > are translated with gettext though, which is a bit inconsistent
            > if [Command Line] buffer is not translated. But it's only a
            > nitpicking thing.
            >
            > Is the buffer name string the only way to identify what kind of
            > special buffer it is?

            What matters is what bufname() returns. The translated names are only
            used for displaying, so they can be translated without changing how scripts
            work. But the command line window buffer name is returned by bufname(),
            thus translating it theoretically could cause a problem for a script.

            It's not very consistent though...

            --
            We are the Borg of GNU GPL. We will assimilate your source code.
            Resistance is futile.