Re: Scrollbind when scrolling unfocussed window

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4, 2009
      Jonathon Mah wrote:

      > On 2009-01-12, at 03:29, Nico Weber wrote:
      >
      > >> This patch is completely rewritten, with very little in common with
      > >> the previous one. Again, some review is much needed. I didn't adjust
      > >> the documentation; is it customary for me to do that, or to have Bram
      > >> do it?
      > >
      > > That's your job.
      >
      > OK, once more with feeling. Sincere apologies for the noobness.

      The patch adds "focusonly" to the 'scrollopt' option by default. That
      means people who previously did something like ":set scrollopt=ver"
      will get different behavior. I think we can avoid that.

      Isn't there another name to use, so that we can leave the default value
      as it was? Perhaps "always" or "unfocused".

      You removed the use of old_topline and old_topfill. How can you
      guarantee that without the new flag things work just like before?

      You change "curwin" without changing "curbuf", that probably won't work
      properly.

      You add a call to do_check_scrollbind() in edit.c without checking that
      it's not the current window that is being scrolled. Same in normal.c.

      Looks like this patch needs a bit more work!

      --
      Don't read everything you believe.

    • Jonathon Mah
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 7, 2009
        Bram,

        Thanks for taking a look at the patch.

        On 2009-02-05, at 03:13, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > You removed the use of old_topline and old_topfill. How can you
        > guarantee that without the new flag things work just like before?
        >
        > You change "curwin" without changing "curbuf", that probably won't
        > work
        > properly.
        >
        > You add a call to do_check_scrollbind() in edit.c without checking
        > that
        > it's not the current window that is being scrolled. Same in normal.c.
        >
        > Looks like this patch needs a bit more work!

        Indeed it does. I don't have a good grasp of the things scrollbind can
        affect (particularly its interactions with diff display), and I've
        been hoping someone with more familiarity could point me in that
        direction.

        (On 2009-01-11, I wrote:)

        > This is my first patch here, and my first time working on Vim's
        > source, so I could do with a bit of guidance.

        Any takers? Otherwise, could someone point me to some documentation on
        how it all works? Spelunking isn't particularly appealing, so it's my
        last option.

        Jonathon Mah
        me@...