Re: Bug in gvim: diffpatch can't handle reversed patches

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
      On 04/02/09 11:08, Andreas Bernauer wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > when I apply a reversed patch on an open file with 'diffpatch', gvim opens a
      > window with an empty buffer instead of the patched file. 'godlygeek' on IRC
      > suggested reporting this bug on this mailing list.
      >
      > It seems, gvim automatically answers the questions from the patch program
      > 'Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]'
      > and
      > 'Apply anyway? [n]'
      > with the default answer for me (as if I pressed 'Enter'), resulting in the empty
      > buffer.
      >
      > I expected to be able to answer the questions myself :-) as it happens in vim.
      >
      > How to reproduce:
      > - Have two files which differ, e.g. each contains a single but different line
      > (eg., see attached files 'text' and 'text-new')
      > - Create patch:
      > $ diff text text-new> patch
      > - Start vim with the newer file
      > ./vim-7.2 -u NONE -U NONE -i NONE --noplugin -N -g text-new
      > - in gvim, try to apply patch file:
      > :diffpatch patch
      >
      > Result is empty file instead of (reversely) patched file because gvim does not
      > allow me to answer patch questions 'Assume -R?' and 'Apply anyway?'.
      >
      > Note, the bug only appears if gui (-g) AND non-compatible mode (-N) are enabled.
      > If not in gui mode, the bug never appears (either compatible or non-compatible
      > mode). If in gui mode and in compatible mode, the bug only appears when ':set
      > nocompatible' is executed before the diffpatch command.
      >
      > vim-7.2 is the freshly built vim from the tarball from the homepage
      > (ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-7.2.tar.bz2)
      >
      > I added the '-u NONE -U NONE -i NONE --noplugin' flags only to keep
      > bugreport.txt small; the bug still appears when these flags are missing.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Andreas.

      That would be version 7.2.0 (i.e., 7.2 with no bugfixes). Since then,
      almost a hundred "official" patches have been published: see what they
      are about (one line per patch) at
      http://ftp.vim/org/pub/vim/patches/7.2/README

      See also my Compiling HowTo
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm

      What you don't know can hurt you, only you won't know it.

    • Andreas Bernauer
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
        Andreas Bernauer wrote:
        > when I apply a reversed patch on an open file with 'diffpatch', gvim opens a
        > window with an empty buffer instead of the patched file. 'godlygeek' on IRC
        > suggested reporting this bug on this mailing list.
        [...]
        > vim-7.2 is the freshly built vim from the tarball from the homepage
        > (ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-7.2.tar.bz2)

        Bug happens in r1341 of the subversion version, too.

        --
        Andreas.

      • Andreas Bernauer
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
          Tony Mechelynck wrote:
          > On 04/02/09 11:08, Andreas Bernauer wrote:
          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> when I apply a reversed patch on an open file with 'diffpatch', gvim opens a
          >> window with an empty buffer instead of the patched file. 'godlygeek' on IRC
          >> suggested reporting this bug on this mailing list.
          >> [...]
          >> vim-7.2 is the freshly built vim from the tarball from the homepage
          >> (ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-7.2.tar.bz2)

          > That would be version 7.2.0 (i.e., 7.2 with no bugfixes). Since then,
          > almost a hundred "official" patches have been published: see what they
          > are about (one line per patch) at
          > http://ftp.vim/org/pub/vim/patches/7.2/README

          Sorry, didn't know that.

          Bug happens at patch level 7.2.095, too.

          --
          Andreas.

        • Matt Wozniski
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
            On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 6:24 AM, Andreas Bernauer wrote:
            > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
            >> On 04/02/09 11:08, Andreas Bernauer wrote:
            >>> when I apply a reversed patch on an open file with 'diffpatch', gvim opens a
            >>> window with an empty buffer instead of the patched file. 'godlygeek' on IRC
            >>> suggested reporting this bug on this mailing list.
            >>> [...]
            >>> vim-7.2 is the freshly built vim from the tarball from the homepage
            >>> (ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-7.2.tar.bz2)
            >>
            >> almost a hundred "official" patches have been published
            >
            > Sorry, didn't know that.
            >
            > Bug happens at patch level 7.2.095, too.

            And regardless of 'guipty' - though I haven't yet sourcedived to
            figure out exactly what is going wrong.

            ~Matt