Re: A branch for join_O(n) patches was: Re: [patch] Re: make joining lines O(n)

  • Markus Heidelberg
    Message 1 of 56 , Feb 3, 2009
      Markus Heidelberg, 23.01.2009:
      > Milan Vancura, 22.01.2009:
      > > I vote for fix/fast_join. It is a fix, not a feature, I think.
      > > Feature == new option or something like that. This is a fix of the slow
      > > algorithm. I know that better word would be "an improvement" but in case I have
      > > just three words I must match in (fix, feat, dev), I vote for fix.
      >
      > Yes, it's a fix. I rather thought about the two namespaces to
      > distinguish between fast-forward and rebase-able branches. I didn't want
      > to get too many namespaces and I think, since fixes should go upstream,
      > it doesn't make too much sense. But on the other hand I think it's OK,
      > we can put upstream stuff into vim_extended to get it mature till
      > inclusion. So we could have "fix" and "feat" with non-rebasing policy
      > and "dev" for everything one can dream of.
      >
      > > Adding me to the project: my name at repo.cz is 'milan', so you can add me to
      > > your project. Thank you.
      >
      > OK, I will do it in the near future and send you a mail then.

      Sorry for the delay. I have finally added the README to the stuff
      branch and renamed the feature branches.
      Now you have push access, Milan. You can create the fix/fast-join
      branch. Note the dash instead of an underscore, I tend to like it more,
      it's also easier to type.

      Just some guidelines, I haven't put them into the README yet:
      - Only fast-forward pushes to your branch.
      - The 'vim' branch is the branch to be merged into fix/fast-join. I can
      do it like I do it for the feat/ branches when new official patches
      arrive, if that's ok for you. I think it would be good to update all
      branches at the same time.
      - Please write the commit message according to the git recommendations
      (man git-commit): a short first summary line and a longer description
      after an empty line. The short summary line should perhaps contain a
      prefix "fast join: " when adding new commits after the initial commit.

      > > About other ideas:
      > >
      > > 1. your subscription is still missing in
      > > http://repo.or.cz/r/vim_extended.git/README.html
      >
      > Still? Nobody has asked about it yet. However, this is not the proper
      > web URL. In http://repo.or.cz/w/vim_extended.git there is my email
      > address in the owner field. But nevertheless, I will adjust it.
      >
      > > and it would be very nice to have your name there so a contact to the
      > > maitainer will be well known. Do you agree?
      >
      > Yes.

      Done.

      Markus

    • Markus Heidelberg
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 3, 2009
        Markus Heidelberg, 23.01.2009:
        > Milan Vancura, 22.01.2009:
        > > I vote for fix/fast_join. It is a fix, not a feature, I think.
        > > Feature == new option or something like that. This is a fix of the slow
        > > algorithm. I know that better word would be "an improvement" but in case I have
        > > just three words I must match in (fix, feat, dev), I vote for fix.
        >
        > Yes, it's a fix. I rather thought about the two namespaces to
        > distinguish between fast-forward and rebase-able branches. I didn't want
        > to get too many namespaces and I think, since fixes should go upstream,
        > it doesn't make too much sense. But on the other hand I think it's OK,
        > we can put upstream stuff into vim_extended to get it mature till
        > inclusion. So we could have "fix" and "feat" with non-rebasing policy
        > and "dev" for everything one can dream of.
        >
        > > Adding me to the project: my name at repo.cz is 'milan', so you can add me to
        > > your project. Thank you.
        >
        > OK, I will do it in the near future and send you a mail then.

        Sorry for the delay. I have finally added the README to the stuff
        branch and renamed the feature branches.
        Now you have push access, Milan. You can create the fix/fast-join
        branch. Note the dash instead of an underscore, I tend to like it more,
        it's also easier to type.

        Just some guidelines, I haven't put them into the README yet:
        - Only fast-forward pushes to your branch.
        - The 'vim' branch is the branch to be merged into fix/fast-join. I can
        do it like I do it for the feat/ branches when new official patches
        arrive, if that's ok for you. I think it would be good to update all
        branches at the same time.
        - Please write the commit message according to the git recommendations
        (man git-commit): a short first summary line and a longer description
        after an empty line. The short summary line should perhaps contain a
        prefix "fast join: " when adding new commits after the initial commit.

        > > About other ideas:
        > >
        > > 1. your subscription is still missing in
        > > http://repo.or.cz/r/vim_extended.git/README.html
        >
        > Still? Nobody has asked about it yet. However, this is not the proper
        > web URL. In http://repo.or.cz/w/vim_extended.git there is my email
        > address in the owner field. But nevertheless, I will adjust it.
        >
        > > and it would be very nice to have your name there so a contact to the
        > > maitainer will be well known. Do you agree?
        >
        > Yes.

        Done.

        Markus