Re: PATCH: allow multiple spaces before the last argument to :cscope find
- On 2009-01-31, Lech Lorens <lech.lorens@...> wrote:
> Anyway, the behaviour I corrected is listed in todo.txt under "KnownI would argue that that's still a bug. The correct, expected
> bugs" (the patch deletes it from the list). The list is quite long and
> I'm trying to make it shorter. This is the second time today that I got
> to fixing something listed as a bug, that is a feature in fact. The
> other one was:
> > When entering a C /* comment, after typing <Enter> for 70 times the indent
> > disappears. (Vincent Beffara, 2008 Jul 3)
> It's a feature actually - the code responsible for indenting code is
> limited to search only the last 70 lines for a comment beginning
> (probably so that it doesn't take too long).
behavior of the feature is that indenting work consistently within
the context of a comment. The length of the comment should be
The limit of 70 lines is a feature only in the sense that it
improves performance when indenting on slower computers.
> It might be a good idea to clean up todo.txt so that people don'tThe code may not be broken in the sense that the current behavior is
> concentrate too much on fixing things that aren't broken.
the result of an intentional, correctly-coded limitation to improve
performance, but the behavior of the indenting feature is still
imperfect. I wouldn't remove this issue from todo.txt, but I might
add a comment that the current behavior is intentional. It could
presumably be fixed with a better algorithm, by adding an option or
command similar to ":syntax sync", or by removing the limitation
entirely, recognizing that computers have gotten faster.
We've used the term "issue" at work rather than "bug" to describe
discrepancies between actual and expected behaviors of code in part
to minimize arguments from programmers that "my code does not have a
bug; that's the way I meant it to behave."
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php