Re: Vim SEGV

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 27, 2008
      On 27/12/08 15:45, Ben Schmidt wrote:
      >> You can compile your own Vim 7.2.075, see
      >> http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm
      >
      > I'm sure Matt is completely capable of doing this, Tony, and almost
      > certainly needs no assistance.
      >
      >> Before reporting a bug, it is always better to try reproducing it with
      >> the latest published bugfixed version.
      >
      > That's not strictly true, particularly in a case like this. The bug
      > involves pretty subtle code interactions, and is difficult to reproduce.
      > Checking with a later version may work just fine, but doesn't
      > necessarily indicate the bug has been fixed--it may be that it simply
      > can't be reproduced using the same steps as before. So unless a patch
      > claims to deal with the situation being encountered, there is little
      > point trying a later version, as if anything, this may lull us into a
      > false sense of security.
      >
      > Similar problems exist trying to test subtle bugs like this are fixed,
      > too. It is not uncommon for a developer to 'fix' a bug in their version
      > of the code, then need to do a CVS update (or such) before being able to
      > CVS commit their changes back to the main code repository, and for that
      > update to cause the bug to longer be reproducible, thus meaning that the
      > developer can no longer test whether their change fixes the bug in the
      > current codebase, but only in their older version. Of course, testing
      > with the old version gives some confidence, but not always as much as
      > we'd like!
      >
      > Smiles,
      >
      > Ben.

      OTOH, software from third-party distributors, especially of the Debian
      family, have been reported to include additional code which the original
      makers of the software have sometimes claimed to decrease stability. I
      don't want to take a side here, I just note that there have been
      conflicts, for instance between Debian and Mozilla about the differences
      between Iceweasel and Firefox, Icedove and Thunderbird, Iceape and
      SeaMonkey.

      Here is the problem: for many years, the Supreme Court wrestled with
      the issue of pornography, until finally Associate Justice John Paul
      Stevens came up with the famous quotation about how he couldn't define
      pornography, but he knew it when he saw it. So for a while, the
      court's policy was to have all the suspected pornography trucked to
      Justice Stevens' house, where he would look it over. "Nope, this isn't
      it," he'd say. "Bring some more." This went on until one morning when
      his housekeeper found him trapped in the recreation room under an
      enormous mound of rubberized implements, and the court had to issue a
      ruling stating that it didn't know what the hell pornography was except
      that it was illegal and everybody should stop badgering the court about
      it because the court was going to take a nap.
      -- Dave Barry, "Pornography"

    • Dominique Pelle
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 27, 2008
        Matt Wozniski wrote:

        >> I tried to reproduce it but I could not.
        >
        > Yeah, I'm not surprised... the fact that it seems tied to a hash
        > table resizing makes me think that it's very much tied to the number
        > of plugins I have loaded, the number of variables I have defined, and
        > a whole bunch of other, less obvious factors....
        >
        >> Which command(s)
        >> do you use to "step to line 300"?
        >
        > at the :debug prompt, just pressing s<CR> and then <CR> repeatedly
        > until I hit 300.

        I still have not been able to reproduce it. But as you said,
        there might be something subtle to trigger the memory reallocation.

        It'd be nice to have a an automated way to reproduce it. Does
        the following command for example reproduce the error? (it does
        not for me).

        $ yes | tr y s | valgrind vim -D -c ':Explore' 2> valgrind.log

        If you don't mind, maybe sharing your ~/.vimrc and a tar or
        your ~/.vim/ directory could help others to reproduce it.

        Cheers
        -- Dominique