Re: Runtime Files

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2008
      On 02/12/08 05:31, Bill McCarthy wrote:
      > On Mon 1-Dec-08 2:46am -0600, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      >
      >> On 01/12/08 08:39, Bill McCarthy wrote:
      >> [...]
      >>> My C docs say a negative number produces a domain error. A
      >>> zero produces a range error. Assuming these Open Watcom
      >>> docs are correct, I've specified the argument must be a
      >>> positive NUMBER or FLOAT, hence my notation (0,inf] - you
      >>> correctly assumed my "(" means open and "]" means closed for
      >>> ranges. Of course it may be better to always consider "inf"
      >>> as open.
      >>>
      >>> Please let me know if you spot any errors or a need for
      >>> clarification.
      >>>

      >> Not sure if it was an error, a need for clarification, or both, or neither.
      >>
      >> ":echo log(0)" answers -inf
      >> ":echo log(log(0))" answers nan
      >> ":echo log(log(log(0)))" still answers nan
      >> ":echo log( 1. / 0. ) gives three Vim errors (the first of which is
      >> "E15: Invalid expression: / 0. )"
      >
      > I build with Make_ming.mak under Windows.
      >
      > :echo log(0)
      > -1.#INFe
      > :echo log(-1)
      > -1.#INDe
      >
      > If I write this in C:
      >
      > #include<stdio.h>
      > #include<stdlib.h>
      > #include<math.h>
      >
      > int main( void )
      > {
      > printf("%g\n",log(0.0));
      > printf("%g\n",log(-1.0));
      > return EXIT_SUCCESS;
      > }
      >
      > Then compile/link with gcc I get:
      >
      > -1.#INF
      > -1.#IND
      >
      > But when I compile/link with Open Watcom I get:
      >
      > -inf
      > -nan
      >
      > This is quite strange, but not the fault of Vim (except
      > perhaps that 'e' at the end).

      Apparently the MinGW gcc libraries handles infinities and not-a-numbers
      differently than the Linux gcc libraries (where I saw "-inf" and "nan"
      as quoted above) when it comes to display them. (":echo log(-1.0)"
      displays "nan" for me, without a sign.)

      Notice the sentence near the bottom of ":help sqrt()":

      "nan" may be different, it depends on system libraries.

      I found it by ":helpgrep \<nan\>" which gives only three matches.

      Eight Megabytes And Continually Swapping.