Re: Patch 7.2.055

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 3, 2008
      Dominique Pelle wrote:

      > >> ...[snip...]

      > >> I see this compilation warning as well. In my Perl the header file
      > >> /usr/lib/perl/5.10.0/CORE/proto.h on Ubuntu-8.10, I see:
      > >>

      > >> PERL_CALLCONV void Perl_sys_init(int* argc, char*** argv)
      > >> __attribute__nonnull__(1)
      > >> __attribute__nonnull__(2);
      > >>
      > >> PERL_CALLCONV void Perl_sys_init3(int* argc, char*** argv, char*** env)
      > >> __attribute__nonnull__(1)
      > >> __attribute__nonnull__(2)
      > >> __attribute__nonnull__(3);
      > >>

      > >> The "__attribute__nonnull(3)" explains why we get the warning.
      > >>
      > >> We can probably call the other function Perl_sys_init(...) instead
      > >> of Perl_sys_init3(...). The patch below gets rid of the compilation
      > >> warning but I prefer to let the author of the Perl interface (in CC)
      > >> verify whether it's correct.
      > >
      > > You also need to adjust the other places where "init3" appears.
      > > Otherwise it looks like a good change to avoid the warning. Question is
      > > if it also works with all versions of Perl.
      >

      > Perl_sys_init3(...) in Vim code appears only in between...
      >
      > #if (PERL_REVISION == 5) && (PERL_VERSION >= 10)
      > #endif
      >
      > And since Perl-5.10.0 is the latest version of Perl,
      > changing Perl_sys_init3 into Perl_sys_init should not
      > break anything for older versions of Perl.

      I suppose it's unlikely that this will fail somewhere. I'll just send
      out a patch and keep fingers crossed :-).

      There are a few other warnings in if_perl.xs and the generated
      if_perl.c. I don't know how to avoid those.

      --
      ARTHUR: Be quiet!
      DENNIS: --but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more--

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 3, 2008
        On 02/12/08 22:05, Dominique Pelle wrote:
        [...]
        > Perl_sys_init3(...) in Vim code appears only in between...
        >
        > #if (PERL_REVISION == 5)&& (PERL_VERSION>= 10)
        > #endif
        >
        > And since Perl-5.10.0 is the latest version of Perl,
        > changing Perl_sys_init3 into Perl_sys_init should not
        > break anything for older versions of Perl.
        >
        > -- Dominique

        Maybe that #if will break something if and when Perl 6 gets released?
        Hm, I suppose we can cross that bridge when we get to it.

        A total abstainer is one who abstains from everything but abstention,
        and especially from inactivity in the affairs of others.

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 3, 2008
          On 03/12/08 10:51, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          [...]
          > I suppose it's unlikely that this will fail somewhere. I'll just send
          > out a patch and keep fingers crossed :-).
          >
          > There are a few other warnings in if_perl.xs and the generated
          > if_perl.c. I don't know how to avoid those.

          After applying patch 7.2.063 I don't get any warnings in if_perl.xs
          (when compiling if_perl.c) anymore. Maybe for other platforms...

          Pittsburgh Driver's Test

          (7) The car directly in front of you has a flashing right tail light
          but a steady left tail light. This means

          (a) one of the tail lights is broken; you should blow your horn
          to call the problem to the driver's attention.
          (b) the driver is signaling a right turn.
          (c) the driver is signaling a left turn.
          (d) the driver is from out of town.

          The correct answer is (d). Tail lights are used in some foreign
          countries to signal turns.