Re: Patch 7.2.058

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 2, 2008
      On 02/12/08 05:34, Bill McCarthy wrote:
      > On Sun 30-Nov-08 4:47pm -0600, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      >
      >> On 30/11/08 12:53, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      >>> Patch 7.2.058
      >>> Problem: Can't add a patch name to the ":version" output.
      >>> Solution: Add the extra_patches array.
      >>> Files: src/version.c
      >
      >> Nice new feature :-). However, unlike the "Modified by" line and the
      >
      > How do you get that "Modified by" to work? There doesn't
      > appear to be anything to modify in the "make" line.

      It depends on your compiler, which, in turn, depends on your OS: on
      Unix-like systems one should use gcc with the top-level Makefile; on
      Windows you can use Cygwin gcc, MinGW gcc, Borland BCC32, Microsoft
      Visual C/C++, and maybe others, each with its own makefile among the
      various src/Make_*.mak; it also depends on how you configure Vim.

      I used until a short time ago the line

      export CONF_ARGS='--with-modified-by="Bill McCarthy (float)"'

      in the file which I have bash source (not run) before running Vim make.
      Since the above patch came out I have, as you know, taken advantage of
      it instead.

      See lines 316-317 of vim72/src/Makefile

      To regenerate the config cache and recompile immediately, use (only on
      Unix-like platforms) "make reconfig". It can be run in the top-level
      Makefile, which will pass it to src/Makefile.

      On Windows, you may have to check the particular makefile for your
      compiler, and maybe search
      /modif
      There may or may not be a make variable for it; if there isn't (but, I
      suppose, only if there isn't) you may uncomment (and edit) line 974 of
      src/feature.h (which is the file where most of the user-selectable
      features can be enabled or disabled).

      See also:
      (U*x) http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm
      (W32) http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm

      which show how to set the most commonly used make variables when
      compiling Vim. For lesser variables you may have to check the particular
      makefile you use for which particular names and values to use. I
      recommend not to modify the makefile but to set the variables either on
      the make command-line (where on the command line depends on your
      particular version of make) or in the environment, as shown in the above
      howto pages.

      Bizoos, n.:
      The millions of tiny individual bumps that make up a
      basketball.
      -- Rich Hall, "Sniglets"

    • Bill McCarthy
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 2, 2008
        On Tue 2-Dec-08 6:16pm -0600, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

        > On 02/12/08 05:34, Bill McCarthy wrote:

        >>> Nice new feature :-). However, unlike the "Modified by" line and the

        >> How do you get that "Modified by" to work? There doesn't
        >> appear to be anything to modify in the "make" line.

        Thanks for all your suggestions. I've tried all kinds of
        ways to add from the top - parameters to the make file like
        I have now. Nothing worked :-(

        I even tried to directly modify Make_ming.mak by physically
        adding: -DMODIFIED_BY=\"My Stuff\"

        Nothing worked - version.c wouldn't compile.

        Bill

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 3, 2008
          On 03/12/08 05:54, Bill McCarthy wrote:

          >>> How do you get that "Modified by" to work? There doesn't
          >>> appear to be anything to modify in the "make" line.
          >
          > Thanks for all your suggestions. I've tried all kinds of
          > ways to add from the top - parameters to the make file like
          > I have now. Nothing worked :-(
          >
          > I even tried to directly modify Make_ming.mak by physically
          > adding: -DMODIFIED_BY=\"My Stuff\"
          >
          > Nothing worked - version.c wouldn't compile.

          "Modified by" is not in version.c but in feature.h. Since apparently
          Make_ming.mak has no option to set that line, you should edit feature.h
          manually, as I said. (Didn't you get my reply to your former post asking
          how to set it?

          ... [concerning quotation marks] even if we *did* quote anybody in this
          business, it probably would be gibberish.
          -- Thom McLeod

        • Bill McCarthy
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 7, 2008
            On Wed 3-Dec-08 3:07pm -0600, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

            > On 03/12/08 05:54, Bill McCarthy wrote:

            >> Thanks for all your suggestions. I've tried all kinds of
            >> ways to add from the top - parameters to the make file like
            >> I have now. Nothing worked :-(
            >>
            >> I even tried to directly modify Make_ming.mak by physically
            >> adding: -DMODIFIED_BY=\"My Stuff\"
            >>
            >> Nothing worked - version.c wouldn't compile.
            >>

            > "Modified by" is not in version.c but in feature.h. Since apparently
            > Make_ming.mak has no option to set that line, you should edit feature.h
            > manually, as I said. (Didn't you get my reply to your former post asking
            > how to set it?

            I read it, Tony, and I know that MODIFIED_BY is usually
            defined in feature.h. That #define (currently not done) is
            used by version.c to create the message.

            I know I can add a #define in feature.h. I was trying to do
            this more high level by changing my invocation of make.

            BTW, i finally gave up and modified feature.h :-(

            Bill