Re: Patch 7.2.058

  • Bill McCarthy
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2008
      On Sun 30-Nov-08 4:47pm -0600, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

      > On 30/11/08 12:53, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      >>
      >> Patch 7.2.058
      >> Problem: Can't add a patch name to the ":version" output.
      >> Solution: Add the extra_patches array.
      >> Files: src/version.c

      > Nice new feature :-). However, unlike the "Modified by" line and the

      How do you get that "Modified by" to work? There doesn't
      appear to be anything to modify in the "make" line.

      Bill

    • Markus Heidelberg
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 2, 2008
        Bram Moolenaar, 30.11.2008:

        > > Patch 7.2.058
        > [...]
        > > + /*
        > > + * Place to put a short description when adding a feature with a patch.
        > > + * Keep it short, e.g.,: "relative numbers", "persistent undo".
        > > + * Also add a comment marker to separate the lines.
        > > + * See the official Vim patches for the diff format: It must use a context of
        > > + * one line only. Use "diff -C2".
        >
        > I forgot to mention that after "diff -C2" you need to edit the patch to
        > reduce the context.

        Using 3 lines of these /**/ comment markers would circumvent the problem
        with the limited context diff. You could just create the patch without
        worrying, in addition automatic creation of patches with for example
        gitweb will be possible. Merely the offset will increase by 4 every time
        an extra patch is applied, but it will increase in any case because of
        the normal patches.

        > So that the context doesn't contain anything of another patch that was
        > applied.

        However, when merging various patches as it's done in vim_extended.git,
        conflicts with extra_patches[] are unavoidable because a version control
        system always knows more about the sources than the patch tool with
        three context lines.

        But because it's nice to have the patch names listed, these trivial
        merge conflicts are acceptable, I think.

        Markus

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 2, 2008
          On 02/12/08 05:34, Bill McCarthy wrote:
          > On Sun 30-Nov-08 4:47pm -0600, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
          >
          >> On 30/11/08 12:53, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          >>> Patch 7.2.058
          >>> Problem: Can't add a patch name to the ":version" output.
          >>> Solution: Add the extra_patches array.
          >>> Files: src/version.c
          >
          >> Nice new feature :-). However, unlike the "Modified by" line and the
          >
          > How do you get that "Modified by" to work? There doesn't
          > appear to be anything to modify in the "make" line.

          It depends on your compiler, which, in turn, depends on your OS: on
          Unix-like systems one should use gcc with the top-level Makefile; on
          Windows you can use Cygwin gcc, MinGW gcc, Borland BCC32, Microsoft
          Visual C/C++, and maybe others, each with its own makefile among the
          various src/Make_*.mak; it also depends on how you configure Vim.

          I used until a short time ago the line

          export CONF_ARGS='--with-modified-by="Bill McCarthy (float)"'

          in the file which I have bash source (not run) before running Vim make.
          Since the above patch came out I have, as you know, taken advantage of
          it instead.

          See lines 316-317 of vim72/src/Makefile

          To regenerate the config cache and recompile immediately, use (only on
          Unix-like platforms) "make reconfig". It can be run in the top-level
          Makefile, which will pass it to src/Makefile.

          On Windows, you may have to check the particular makefile for your
          compiler, and maybe search
          /modif
          There may or may not be a make variable for it; if there isn't (but, I
          suppose, only if there isn't) you may uncomment (and edit) line 974 of
          src/feature.h (which is the file where most of the user-selectable
          features can be enabled or disabled).

          See also:
          (U*x) http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm
          (W32) http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm

          which show how to set the most commonly used make variables when
          compiling Vim. For lesser variables you may have to check the particular
          makefile you use for which particular names and values to use. I
          recommend not to modify the makefile but to set the variables either on
          the make command-line (where on the command line depends on your
          particular version of make) or in the environment, as shown in the above
          howto pages.

          Bizoos, n.:
          The millions of tiny individual bumps that make up a
          basketball.
          -- Rich Hall, "Sniglets"

        • Bill McCarthy
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 2, 2008
            On Tue 2-Dec-08 6:16pm -0600, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

            > On 02/12/08 05:34, Bill McCarthy wrote:

            >>> Nice new feature :-). However, unlike the "Modified by" line and the

            >> How do you get that "Modified by" to work? There doesn't
            >> appear to be anything to modify in the "make" line.

            Thanks for all your suggestions. I've tried all kinds of
            ways to add from the top - parameters to the make file like
            I have now. Nothing worked :-(

            I even tried to directly modify Make_ming.mak by physically
            adding: -DMODIFIED_BY=\"My Stuff\"

            Nothing worked - version.c wouldn't compile.

            Bill

          • Tony Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 3, 2008
              On 03/12/08 05:54, Bill McCarthy wrote:

              >>> How do you get that "Modified by" to work? There doesn't
              >>> appear to be anything to modify in the "make" line.
              >
              > Thanks for all your suggestions. I've tried all kinds of
              > ways to add from the top - parameters to the make file like
              > I have now. Nothing worked :-(
              >
              > I even tried to directly modify Make_ming.mak by physically
              > adding: -DMODIFIED_BY=\"My Stuff\"
              >
              > Nothing worked - version.c wouldn't compile.

              "Modified by" is not in version.c but in feature.h. Since apparently
              Make_ming.mak has no option to set that line, you should edit feature.h
              manually, as I said. (Didn't you get my reply to your former post asking
              how to set it?

              ... [concerning quotation marks] even if we *did* quote anybody in this
              business, it probably would be gibberish.
              -- Thom McLeod

            • Bill McCarthy
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 7, 2008
                On Wed 3-Dec-08 3:07pm -0600, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

                > On 03/12/08 05:54, Bill McCarthy wrote:

                >> Thanks for all your suggestions. I've tried all kinds of
                >> ways to add from the top - parameters to the make file like
                >> I have now. Nothing worked :-(
                >>
                >> I even tried to directly modify Make_ming.mak by physically
                >> adding: -DMODIFIED_BY=\"My Stuff\"
                >>
                >> Nothing worked - version.c wouldn't compile.
                >>

                > "Modified by" is not in version.c but in feature.h. Since apparently
                > Make_ming.mak has no option to set that line, you should edit feature.h
                > manually, as I said. (Didn't you get my reply to your former post asking
                > how to set it?

                I read it, Tony, and I know that MODIFIED_BY is usually
                defined in feature.h. That #define (currently not done) is
                used by version.c to create the message.

                I know I can add a #define in feature.h. I was trying to do
                this more high level by changing my invocation of make.

                BTW, i finally gave up and modified feature.h :-(

                Bill